ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it better to buy discus online or in person?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Is it better to buy discus online or in person?

I am having an issue right now whether to buy my discus from my local fish store who will order some for me and provide me 20% off. He said he gets them from Uncle Sam and will choose out the best one for me but from what I heard about Uncle Sam, are mixed reviews. He didn't really show me any pictures but I will try to ask today in person hopefully for pictures. I am trying to get 6 of 4 inches lemon discus but am afraid of what if he gets the size wrong or whatever. I have seen in my area overly charging discus price for example, 3 inches for 60 dollars and 4 inches for 120. Outrageous price honestly. Any opinions whether i should trust my local store or buy it in person?
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 10-26-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Is it better to buy discus online or in person?

In person is always best, then you have no one to blame than yourself But otherwise, my first reaction is you are going through a middle man, your LFS, but why? Are they offering 20% off of USam's listed prices? That might be worthwhile, but I would still contact Uncle Sams yourself, and ask to see pics of the specific fish he is offering. I don't have personal experience with them, other than he brought some nice fish to the 2016 NADA show in Chicago, but I have heard less positive things since then. I think you should expect to see pics of the actual fish you are receiving. There are plenty of folks out there doing that. If you can be patient and wait for what you want, there are others out there like, Kenny, Chicago Discus, maybe Dennis and Golden State, to name a few, that will show you specific fish and quote you shipping and everything. Their business's are to import or raise quality fish and ship around the country.

I see Golden State has just posted a new shipment.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 10-26-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

I think another thing to consider is if I were buying from a reputable breeder/seller, I wouldn't want them going in a tank at my LFS. Just for quarantine reasons.
    If your LFS is letting you pic from what they bring in, again, that might be worthwhile.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Yeah I went all over my area in huntington beach california and there really arent any LFS that offer good price. I do want to go far for discus but at the same time i dont. 4 hours drive are not my thing and driving back 4 hours as well. Thank you for your opinion!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I think another thing to consider is if I were buying from a reputable breeder/seller, I wouldn't want them going in a tank at my LFS. Just for quarantine reasons.
    If your LFS is letting you pic from what they bring in, again, that might be worthwhile.
    He told me he would choose the best looking one for me. But i just feel like since he isnt providing photos, I feel uneasy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

I think you're close enough to Uncle Sam's to drive there to check out their stock in person. They're also located in the Greater LA area, in Canoga Park, where it wouldn't be such a long drive for you. I know they allow drop in appointments.

Real Name
    Frank

With the amount of money involved, I would not go with your LFS without more accountability. With some of the sponsored breeders here, there is the possibility of a 10% discount if you are a certain level member of the forum. Some of the sponsors have free shipping which is huge. Go with someone you have full confidence and reputation. Healthy, quality discus are worth the monies. You will be proud of them. Hopefully, with the help of the forum, many years of pleasure.

If you can't go to Golden State, I read on their website that they will send pics or videos if you ask. Kenny shows pics of every fish in the shipment. Chicago will send pics at request. I've never purchased form Dennis, so I don't know. Neither have I purchased from Uncle Sam's. Don't buy from the LFS. With very few exceptions they get the lesser quality fish.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    With the amount of money involved, I would not go with your LFS without more accountability. With some of the sponsored breeders here, there is the possibility of a 10% discount if you are a certain level member of the forum. Some of the sponsors have free shipping which is huge. Go with someone you have full confidence and reputation. Healthy, quality discus are worth the monies. You will be proud of them. Hopefully, with the help of the forum, many years of pleasure.
    To add to this, I would myself not purchase from a LFS because of price. I was at the LFS today picking up food, a spawning cone, and filter system. The store has been in the area for over 40 years. It's one of two of my go to stores for everything but fish. I ask today if they would be interested in discus fry. They were interested in exchange for store credit. I told them that the fry would be a mix of two different domestic. Did they want to know what they were. The man told me that most discus buyers in his store do not much care what they are specifically only that they are discus. I suppose the average LFS buyer likes to be suprised when the fish grow out or they do not know what a Blue Scorpion or any of the other 70 or so varieties are. LFS might be good for the average hobbyist but not so much for those who are sophisticated hobbyist.

Real Name
    Brian

It's always best to have the opportunity to select in person. Unfortunately, I lost my supplier years ago. There is a very good breeder near me but he doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Personally, I would rather order from Micky Mouse online than Uncle Sam's in person...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It's always best to have the opportunity to select in person. Unfortunately, I lost my supplier years ago. There is a very good breeder near me but he doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Personally, I would rather order from Micky Mouse online than Uncle Sam's in person...
    So far I am contacting Golden state discus so I am hoping it goes well. He is showing me pictures on Monday

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Dennis's Discus Fish move the fish you are considering into a separate tank and will send pics and videos so you can see them from every angle.
    From certain angles pictures can be taken to make the discus look very round, have a strong chin, etc when those traits are not actually true. Video of them swimming around seals the deal in my book, and Dennis is 1 of the very few, if only, that I know does that to make sure you're happy with your choice.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you can't go to Golden State, I read on their website that they will send pics or videos if you ask. Kenny shows pics of every fish in the shipment. Chicago will send pics at request. I've never purchased form Dennis, so I don't know. Neither have I purchased from Uncle Sam's. Don't buy from the LFS. With very few exceptions they get the lesser quality fish.
    Does Kenny actually let you choose specific fish in photos?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GqyForPay View Post
    So far I am contacting Golden state discus so I am hoping it goes well. He is showing me pictures on Monday
    I've heard very good things about Golden State.

Depends. Yes if that fish is not stuck in for yet. What I usually do when ordering from Kenny, I look at pictures of past shipments 2/2 trains I am looking for with the shape I'm looking for. He usually does a really good job getting just that if not better. I remember one time I even told him that I was fearful of what I perceive to be a little bit too much of a high body group from one shipment of a strain I wanted. I sent also the picture of the shape I did not want. He's pretty awesome and will even call you if there is any Wonder at all. I have ordered from him, Carolina Discus, and Uncle Sam ( I had a good experience with Uncle Sam) and all three have a lot of communication with me. I actually travel to Carolina discus the first time and went there for myself.

So if you live by a good breeder with strings you want, obviously go in person. If not then communication between you and breeder or distributor is something that must be clear and feel good from start to end between the both of you. I'm pretty sure other sponsors on here that I have not purchased from yet are also pretty good but I just wanted to mention the ones who I have purchased from since I know firsthand. I must say that Kenny's Dedication to posting tons of pictures every single month is something I love the hell out of.
    -Elliot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast