ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Flubendazole and Prazi

Registered Member

Default Flubendazole and Prazi

Hi Forum,

In this article: http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...ocedures.shtml

Al states "I ALWAYS assume flukes, the gift that keeps on giving. Currently I have found three weeks of treatment with Flubendazole or Prazi to be the most effective and safest treatment."

When he says 3 weeks of treatment, does it mean:
    week 1 - fluben
    week 2 - fluben
    week 3 - fluben
    week 4 - prazi
    week 5 - prazi
    week 6 - prazi

or 3 weeks of fluben AND prazi together in the same week?

Thanks!

Default Re: Flubendazole and Prazi

Quote Originally Posted by fisherina View Post
    Hi Forum,

In this article: http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...ocedures.shtml

Al states "I ALWAYS assume flukes, the gift that keeps on giving. Currently I have found three weeks of treatment with Flubendazole or Prazi to be the most effective and safest treatment."

When he says 3 weeks of treatment, does it mean:
    week 1 - fluben
    week 2 - fluben
    week 3 - fluben
    week 4 - prazi
    week 5 - prazi
    week 6 - prazi

or 3 weeks of fluben AND prazi together in the same week?

Thanks!
    Hello,

Yes I do always assume Flukes and Worms in new fish and treat accordingly as part of my QT.

There are many ways to treat flukes, everyone has their favorite tried and true methods... .

When I wrote that post it was a long time ago, and I meant to use either Flubendazole or Prazi for 3 weeks, not both back to back...With that dosing regiment whats done is dose every other day for 21 days....That gives you 10-11 treatments. You would dose after a large water change(80+ %) . Both Meds are usually well tolerated but there is a chance of overdosing....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...le-side-effect

My methods have changed since then though and although flukes can be treated like that, they can also be treated with salt dips which is what I use when I get new fish in. If I suspect a bad case of flukes I will use the salt dips and then formalin baths, but most of the time salt dips work fine and theres no chance of resistance to it, unlike with meds which resistance has been reported by flukes.

I hope that helps you out. If you suspect you have flukes and are new to Discus I would suggest that you post a thread in the emergency room. I'm sure that many here could share their methods. Some rely on medications like flubendazole and Praziquantel and organophosphate pesticides, others use formalin,FMG (formalin+malachite green) others swear by PP (Potassium Permanganate) ... I've tried them all and used appropriately can be very effective. I do like Salt though.Its cheap, effective and safe.. Tastes good on French fries too.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images