AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Creamy Garlic (Scallops or Shrimp)

Real Name
    Brian

Default Creamy Garlic (Scallops or Shrimp)

I came up with this one all by myself last night. I used some Scallops that I found in the freezer but you could use shrimp as well. Very easy and quickly made.

1lb Scallops or Shrimp
    Minced Garlic to taste (I used 5 cloves)
    Cajun Seasoning to taste (I use Tony Chachere's)
    1/4 cup Dry White Wine
    1 Cup Whipping Cream
    2-3 green onions chopped
    8oz sliced mushrooms
    1 Chicken Bullion Cube
    1/3rd cup Parmesan Cheese

Saute' scallops or shrimp in olive oil or butter on high heat about 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and place aside.

Reduce head to medium and add a little more butter, add garlic, mushrooms, bullion and green onions and cook until mushrooms are done.

Add white wine and simmer for about 2 minutes. Add cream and parmesan cheese, simmer until it begins to thicken.

Serve over pasta or rice. Don't use raman noogles like I did, they're too sticky. I would use a bow tie or similar type pasta.

Default Re: Creamy Garlic (Scallops or Shrimp)

I could go for that, Brian. I'll put it on my list. I made an incredible clam chowder I found on another forum the other day so I won't be making a shellfish dish right away.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I came up with this one all by myself last night. I used some Scallops that I found in the freezer but you could use shrimp as well. Very easy and quickly made.

1lb Scallops or Shrimp
    Minced Garlic to taste (I used 5 cloves)
    Cajun Seasoning to taste (I use Tony Chachere's)
    1/4 cup Dry White Wine
    1 Cup Whipping Cream
    2-3 green onions chopped
    8oz sliced mushrooms
    1 Chicken Bullion Cube
    1/3rd cup Parmesan Cheese

Saute' scallops or shrimp in olive oil or butter on high heat about 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and place aside.

Reduce head to medium and add a little more butter, add garlic, mushrooms, bullion and green onions and cook until mushrooms are done.

Add white wine and simmer for about 2 minutes. Add cream and parmesan cheese, simmer until it begins to thicken.

Serve over pasta or rice. Don't use raman noogles like I did, they're too sticky. I would use a bow tie or similar type pasta.
    Why not scallops and shrimp

Jeanne

Sure, if both are what you're in the mood for. It would be good with clams too, I bet. Whadda you think, Brian?
    Mama Bear

As long as we're talking shell fish, this is the clam chowder I made. It was on my cooking forum Discuss Cooking.

Big Al's Wicked Good Clam Chowder
    Big Al's Wicked Good Clam Chowder
    Yields: 1 ½ gal

This is one of those recipes that my family and I just die for. When it gets colder, I usually make this at least once a month.
    You'll notice that I caramelize the bacon, then add the vegetables and seasonings, and caramelize those as well. The reason for this is added flavor. When the vegetables hit the pan, and they start exuding their liquid, they will deglaze the pan a bit. However, once that liquid is cooked off, they will start to caramelize slightly. I look for this point. I'm always scraping the pan bottom trying to work all the good flavor into the vegetables, and once it's gone, I start keeping an eye on the pan bottom to see when the onions start to caramelize a bit. When I start to see color again, I add the clams and juice to deglaze the pan again.
    A couple other tips: Cut the bacon last. This lessens the chance of any cross-contamination from the bacon to other things. Also, I find it easier to chop bacon like this when it's frozen. And lastly, don't add any salt until the very end, and taste it first! Then, if it needs salt, add a little. Remember that you are using salt-cured bacon, and salt water shellfish, so there will be plenty of salt in the chowder without needing any more.

8 slices thick sliced bacon, diced fine
    1 ½ large onion, diced
    1 ½ c celery, diced
    1 ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, optional
    ½ t ground black pepper
    1 ½ t tarragon
    1 ½ t thyme
    1 ½ t garlic, minced
    2 # sized potatoes, peeled, and cubed into half inch cubes
    33 oz (total) canned chopped sea clams with the juice (around here, that's about 6 cans)
    2 8 oz bottles of Clam Juice
    1 pt heavy cream
    1 pt half and half
    ½ c corn starch mixed with ½ c water
    salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium-high until the bacon starts to crisp, and you see lots of color and brown bits in the pan. At this time, add the onions, celery, garlic, pepper, thyme, tarragon, and Old Bay seasoning, if desired. When the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized, add the clams, juice, and potatoes; adding a little water if needed to cover the potatoes. Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water slurry and bring back to a boil to tighten the chowder. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.

Real Name
    Brian

Every year I make about 3 gallons of "Sea Critter Chowder". It's made from all the critters that live in the sea (takeoff from Beverly Hillbilly's, lol).

It's pretty much a clam chowder base with shrimp, clams, cod, scallops, calamari, baby squid, etc... Sometimes I even add a few land critters to it

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

You guys are making me hungry lol. It all sounds wonderful.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Go for it, Pat. Brian's is fast and easy. It sounds wonder over pasta to me. The one I stole from another forum demands a bit of prep but I like prep so for me it's no biggie.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

It took me to "1 Chicken Bullion Cube" to realize that this is not for discus lol.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

lol
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by snxtif View Post
    It took me to "1 Chicken Bullion Cube" to realize that this is not for discus lol.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening