AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: A Couple of Questions

Real Name
    Frank

Default A Couple of Questions

After losing over half of my discus due to something changing in the water (probably micro-bubbles or PH increase), I have reset up my tank(s). My main tank has 6 Cuipeua (averaging to 6-6.5 inch) and my other tank is a converted QT/hospital 20g with 3 discus (one 5.5-6, two 6.5, yes overstocked). I am looking at replacing the 20g with a 40g breeder.

A couple of questions:

1. Primarily feeding pellets (along with Al's FDBW) and would like to be a little more exact on feeding the pellets. I assume that these are adult fish so should I go with 2 feedings (morning/evening) or 3 (2 spread lighter?). Since I am feeding pellets I would like to know how much? In order words, I would like to, for example, take a tsp/tbsp - dip into the pellets and into the tank. Pellets are 2-3mm in size. Any thoughts on how much for 2 or 3 feedings?

2. I am in a quandary about the 20g. Unless I have a pair, I assume I would need 4 in a 40g. I thought about taking them to the LFS for store credit but I grew them out from 5 inch so I am a little attached. However it would save the expense of getting another tank. I have them in my study so not a lot of room. If I get a 40g, it would take the place of the 20. But then, if I get a pair ... Any suggestions? I know that its my call. I wanted some other thoughts.

3. Lastly, I put sand as a substrate in my main 75g tank (love the look). I need to increase suction a little because I am getting fine sand periodically due to getting too close to the surface (yes, #20 sand). I love the sand but need to solve this issue. I use a python system now. I thought about a pump with a filter inline? Maybe I would not need a filter inline if I got the suction right to stay close to an inch off the surface but still get the waste. Any thoughts with equip suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Default Re: A Couple of Questions

As far as the phython goes if your using the large phython, 2in. With 5/8 hose you can try kinking the hose slightly to reduce suction or get a smaller phython.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    As far as the phython goes if your using the large phython, 2in. With 5/8 hose you can try kinking the hose slightly to reduce suction or get a smaller phython.

Jeanne
    I think I need more suction, not less. I think I am going to get a pump and hosing. Just don’t know how to filter any sand that might get loose.

Real Name
    Frank

Concerning my first question, I read about 2 hours on the site. For my six, I think a 1/4 tsp of pellets on a feeding. 2 cubes of FDBW on a feeding. I will have to watch but the consensus was 2x per day feeding.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    3. Lastly, I put sand as a substrate in my main 75g tank (love the look). I need to increase suction a little because I am getting fine sand periodically due to getting too close to the surface (yes, #20 sand). I love the sand but need to solve this issue. I use a python system now. I thought about a pump with a filter inline? Maybe I would not need a filter inline if I got the suction right to stay close to an inch off the surface but still get the waste. Any thoughts with equip suggestions?
    I think I will do two things. 1) Shorten the hose length by 10ft as I have extra. This should increase the suction. 2) I will exit the python into a overflow bucket which should capture any sand.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    2. I am in a quandary about the 20g. Unless I have a pair, I assume I would need 4 in a 40g. I thought about taking them to the LFS for store credit but I grew them out from 5 inch so I am a little attached. However it would save the expense of getting another tank. I have them in my study so not a lot of room. If I get a 40g, it would take the place of the 20. But then, if I get a pair ... Any suggestions? I know that its my call. I wanted some other thoughts.
    I think I am going to go with a 40g breeder tank and keep the 20g for light QT or hospital tank. This keeps my options open going forward. My next step is probably to build a fish room! lol.