AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thanks to you guys, I have fast growing babies!

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Thanks to you guys, I have fast growing babies!

Nice job. Who says discus in a barebottom tank are ugly?

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Thanks Willie! As the first babies of my own that I've raised I'm absolutely loving them and have vowed not to sell any of them!

This group are all between 5 - 5.5" at the minute. They've been raised in a 36x15x18 since they were 2.5 months old, water changes have dropped off to about 75% daily now, mainly because I don't like pancaking them lol.

Real Name
    Mervin

One can really see the difference in well raised discus. They look great. Lots of fresh water and care is a must to get discus this far and look like that.

Real Name
    Tom

Nicely done !
    I have never read that young fish should not be exposed to PP done properly .
    I will go as far as to say a good part of your exceptional growth can be attributed to the use of PP !
    This from one of my favorite PP articles ;
    Positives observed with regular potassium permanganate treatments
    2. The PP reacts away the stuff the fish give off in high population densities, which stunts growth. Chris Neaves has posted the information several times on the message board at www.koivet.com about the effect and its cause, but left off the PP cure for the problem, I wrote him privately asking him why doesn’t he list the proper cure with the problem.
    3. The buildup of manganese stimulates fish growth, the technical literature states that the highest growth rate occurs at 100 PPM manganese levels, and decreases growth at levels of 600 PPM and above.
    Taken from DR Roddy M. Conrad [ PHD in chemistry and rocket science !~ ]; https://web.archive.org/web/20160312...manganate_.htm

You have great growth with both the PP and water changes . Well done ,very nice fish !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Lovely fish. Sounds like you will be starting a line of your own. You should. Breeding your own line is very satisfying. Tom knows that from his rams.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Yes, without a doubt the PP treatments made a huge difference when they were young Tom. I've always had issues with the 4 week syndrome even though I've treated for flukes with several different products over the years I've never managed to raise broods only odd fish. Either my issue wasn't flukes or I had drug resistant flukes but PP nailed it for me. On all but one occasion the fish didn't even sulk, I treated the tank, drained, wiped down, filled with fresh water and they were looking for food again almost straight away.

Hi Liz, yes, I have thought about following this line. I particularly liked the yellow throat area on the dad, not many of the young have it (as yet) but it's definitely something I would like to develop if possible, I can't wait for these guys to start breeding!

I do still have ten fish in the second group as well although three or four of those should have been culls but I kept them to keep the group size up. While not as nice as the first group some of them are turning into quite nice fish too. The ones I moved from the first group to the second have remained the bigger than the rest of that group. Also the first group are much more even in size, they're all between 5 and 5.5", whereas the second group are more variable. Happily all are like piranhas with food and all will quite happily let you touch them, my homebreds are far tamer than any others I have

Real Name
    Gerald Mann

Well done Kevin! your babies look great!
    I am in the same boat you were - with limited success in past attempts. With a move, and a new fish room (not to mention more time in retirement) I hope to break through the glass ceiling as you have. thanks for the encouragement!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Kevin I just re-skimmed through this entire thread but I couldn't find the strain type of the parents...what are they and do you have a pic of the pair you could post with this awesome thread? I saw the male in thread #1...
    Cheers mate and very well done!!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 06-10-2020 at 04:04 AM.

Registered Member

Thanks Gerald / Daniel,

The pair weren't any particular strain, the female looks green based. I picked them up as a cheap breeding pair about 18 months ago as I was starting my new fish room. They have aged an awful lot in the last year though, no doubt why they were cheap! I had a lot of fertility issues with them, this batch is literally the only fertile batch they've had. They hardly spawn any more now though, no doubt due to age The young are growing quickly though so it will only be a few months before they start thinking about it. Most of the young have better shape than the parents.

Pic of female :

2020-06-15_10-29-25.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

You might want to consider pairing the male with a younger female. In my experience, male discus do not lose fertility with age. However, females have progressively smaller spawns.

Have fun with raising the spawn!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Sadly it's the male who is looking especially old these days, he's lost a lot of his colour. although I live in hope of another brood. I have thought about pairing another male with the female in the hope of getting some young, but I'm a bit limited. I have a good pigeon male and a good turq male but my other two males are both terrible egg eaters and eat them as they are being laid All of my other fish are still a bit young to be interested unfortunately.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It's nice that you have options Kev. Of the available options, your Turk male would be better as the PB male will produce peppered fry from your non PB female.
    You're doing a great job with your fry, keep at it mate

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123