ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to you guys, I have fast growing babies!

Registered Member

Default Thanks to you guys, I have fast growing babies!

I’d just like to say a big thank you to you guys here on the forum. I’ve kept discus (on and off) for 30 years now and had dozens of spawnings that I’ve tried to raise but always had trouble with the 4 week syndrome. Anyway after setting up my new fish room last winter I bought myself some more discus, determined to finally crack it.

I had a brood from a pair of turqs in June and despite treating for flukes weekly through the 4 -10 week period, I still ended up culling the whole brood. Sadly after this first brood the female developed swim bladder disease and I lost her. This left me with just my favourite pair. They must have spawned a dozen times but the male appeared to be infertile as not a single egg was fertilized. They were however perfect parents, they got on brilliantly and never ate the eggs - I was having to remove the cone after 4-5 days and clean it because they refused to eat the now fungused eggs. After about a dozen spawnings they went off cycle.

In September they spawned again, and I was so overjoyed to see some fertile eggs I almost did a little jig! Only about 50 of the eggs were fertilized but I decided to let them raise them. This time though, I did an awful lot of reading on here, taking special note of Brian and Pat’s grow out challenge results. (thanks so much guys!!).

I prepared two 18x15x15 rearing tanks and placed them above my water storage tank. This was my main difference from the grow out challenge. Realising I needed to make much larger water and more frequent water changes I opted for smaller tanks to make maintenance easier.

At 3 weeks old I removed 17 of the babies to the first tank. At this point they were being fed heavily with BBS but they were already taking an interest in FDAB in the parents tank so this was introduced as well. The young hatched on 12th September, today, 29th October, 47 days later, the largest fish is now 52mm total length and I’ve never experienced growth like it! When I put the blackworm in I have to be careful not to squash a baby to the glass because they’re on it like a pack of piranhas! At the weekend I culled three and moved three weaker ones into the other grow out tank leaving the strongest 11 in the tank.

My typical routine with them is:

6.30am feed beefheart
    7.15am 90% water change
    7.30am feed FDAB

Go to work

5pm Feed beefheart
    8pm Feed pellet
    11pm wipe base followed by 90% water change
    11.10pm Feed FDAB

They may get an additional feed here and there if I’m in the fish room too. They were also fed BBS 2-3 times a day up to 40 days old.

Twice a week before refilling the water I wipe the sides down

Once a week they are getting a PP bath in the tank, followed by 150% water change to remove any remaining PP.

What about the others?.....

In the breeding cube I was changing 30-50% of the water each day and wiping down every other day before water changes. My intention was to leave the remaining babies with the parents for as long as possible to compare the different methods, the food fed was similar to the separated ones though. A week after separating the first 17, it was clear that the separated ones were growing faster than the ones left with parents. Sadly, at around 4 weeks, after being such a brilliant pair, they started arguing big time. I left them together for another 3 days hoping they would resolve it, but no, so I removed both parents to my stock tank (causing chaos!!) and transferred the remaining young to the other grow out tank where they got the same food and water regime as the ones removed at three weeks. Today the largest of these fish is probably about 45mm.

Observations:

The babies removed to their own tank with massive water changes at 3 weeks, not only grew faster than the remainder, but also more evenly and have better shape. I estimate the remaining 11 are all between 47 and 52mm, all 11 are larger than the ones removed from their parents ten days later.

A couple of days ago I culled the brood down from 44 to 26 and I think I will have to cull another 2 or 3 weaker ones yet. Of all of the culls, four had deformaties, three were obviously just not growing and the rest just weren’t thriving so I slimmed the group down to just the strongest. Out of the 19 culls, only three came from the first 17 to be moved to the grow out tank and 2 of those were for deformaties.

There were far more growth issues with the ones taken from their parents later, even though they got fed the same and were still eating the parents slime through the day when I was at work.

I intend to leave them in the small tanks for as long as possible as it’s so much easier to maintain (I can do a 90% water change on both in a little over ten minutes), but at the current growth rate of over 1mm per day I think they’ll need to be moved by the time that they’re 8 weeks old.

Fingers crossed, this time I’ve got it licked!

Male

Male.jpg

3rd October

3rd October.jpg

20th October

20th October.jpg

28th October

28th October (2).jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Thanks to you guys, I have fast growing babies!

Sorry about the orientation of the pics, they look fine on my pc, doh!

Very nice brood. Big congrats! The extra work is worth the results, isn't it?

Try reducing your pics more. They should post straight then.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Congratulations! You've done your homework and it's paying off!

I see you've been here since 2010... Nice to see you posting

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi kev1310 and so glad the growout threads were helpful to you. The fry look great. I would suggest going light on the PP. It can hurt the gills of young fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks guys, yep, I did A LOT of reading including all of the posts from the 2018 grow out challenge, if I can grow these half as well as you guys I'll be more than happy.

My current grow out tank set up is much quicker and easier to maintain than my last brood which was the other side of the fish room and water had to be drained to buckets and refilled from buckets, here it is simply drained to the sink and refilled by pump from my storage tank. Lesson learned, the easier it is the more likely you are to do it!

Their growth this time has astounded me, I swear every time I look in the tank they are bigger than the last time!

After treating the previous brood from different parents for flukes I became more and more convinced that it was bacterial issues I was suffering with and not flukes, hence why I decided to use PP this time, helped by this article from Wattley https://wattleydiscus.com/raising-di...-permanganate/ I've left them in for 30 minutes with no obvious stress from the babies but I'll probably cut this down to 15 minutes for the next one.

Yep, I've been around for a while, on and off. But it was only moving house last year and the construction of the new fish room that really gave me the space to focus my efforts a lot more this year. Seeing how good you guys are and the trouble I was having raising young kind of put me off posting lol. I only have room to raise maybe 30-40 at a time so I'm pretty small scale. I'm currently running 12 tanks although I have room for a few more yet, 5 of those are currently stocked with Corys though.

One thing I really learned with this fish room is that you should finish it BEFORE stocking - once you have fish to look after time is much more at a premium to work on the fish room itself!

Thanks again guys!

Real Name
    Pat

The problem with Gabe's approach is you have no idea on how much pp to actually use. If you insist on using PP with fry use Kenny's approach and you can do this by eye. First wipe down all tank surfaces and do a large water change. This is to remove as many of the organics in the water as possible. Add a little bit of PP of a small cup with water. Pour a small amount in the tank. You are looking for a very light pink color so add small amounts until you get the light pink color. You want to maintain the light pink color for six hours so add small amounts of the PP/water mix as needed. At the six hour mark do another large water change. Done.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 10-29-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    The problem with Gabe's approach is you have no idea on how much pp to actually use. If you insist on using PP with fry use Kenny's approach and you can do this by eye. Finish wipe down all tank surfaces and do a large water change. This is to remove as many of the organics in the water as possible. Add a little bit of PP of a small cup with water. Pour a small amount in the tank. You are looking for a very light pink color so add small amounts until you get the light pink color. You want to maintain the light pink color for six hours so add small amounts of the PP/water mix as needed. At the six hour mark do another large water change. Done.
    Pat
    What is "pp"? Thanks.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    What is "pp"? Thanks.
    Potassium Permanganate

I disagree with the pp advice as well.

Never be too shy to post. You found out your self that we are kind hearted here. And a big please, post when you see someone needing help. You know a lot now. You can help others.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks Pat / Liz, I'll try a lighter dose for longer at the weekend like you suggest

Real Name
    Bill

Congrats! Love seeing people continuing to document and share their experiences. I pretty much crashed and burned in that grow out challenge but it was a good learning experience, and I found it very helpful to pay attention to what other people were doing.

Also, by sharing your regimen you prompted Pat to mention something about her approach to PP use, which is a helpful complement to some old threads I've searched up.

Anyway, keep it going--looks like you're going to be rewarded with a nice batch!

Registered Member

Thanks Bill, hopefully it will go ok, we'll see how it goes but this is definitely the best start I've had so far.

I've reared young from 2.5" up successfully before and these guys are almost at that point now. I'll try and keep documenting how they go, they have visibly grown from the pic above and that was only taken 3 days ago! What is definitely clear is that the young removed at 3 weeks are much stronger (and greedier!) than the ones removed at 4.5 weeks.

Registered Member

Just a quick update.

The pic below shows the young at 8 weeks old. These are the 11 (from the initial 17) that I removed from the parents at 3 weeks and they’re just going from strength to strength. I moved them to a 36x15x18 at the weekend from their smaller rearing tank and can already see growth since then. When I moved them at the weekend they ranged from 55mm to 65mm. There is still zero aggression shown between this group even when feeding, all they do is swim up and down. I drain the tank they’re still swimming end to end, I refill it, they’re still swimming end to end, nothing phases them at all, they only stop to feed!

Despite being raised in exactly the same conditions, the ones removed from their parents at four and a half weeks have been an almost complete failure in comparison.

Out of the first group of 17, 3 were culled and 3 were moved into the second group as they weren’t keeping up with the other 11, I still have the remaining 11.

Out of the remaining 27 that were removed from their parents ten days later (plus 3 from the first group) they were initially culled down to 19. This group has always been very different to the first though. The first group have always been very bold, this group has always been very timid. They always hide for an hour or two after water changes whereas the first group were back out looking for food within 30 seconds of the tank being refilled. One died last week, it was fine one evening, looked off colour when I left for work in the morning, black when I got back and dead 3-4 hours later. The next day another 4 went dark and started hiding so they were removed and culled to prevent further spread. I am now down to 9 in this group and it still includes the three from the first group (they’re still bigger) and to be honest, I could easily cull these down to 3 or 4 but I’m trying to keep the numbers up. They’re looking ok, things have stabilized but they’re never going to make good fish like the first group.

The tank set ups were side by side, same size, same temperature, same type of filter, water from the same storage tank, fed the same, treated the same, the only real difference is when they were separated from their parents.

simply pic 8 weeks old.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Good observation and the fry look great!

so, the group pulled @ 3 weeks are doing better than the group pulled @ 4 weeks? Maybe too much time with mom and dad create a dependent personality where as the others are more independent, more adventurous, and have a bigger appetite?

I saw you culled based on growth rate too, sometimes discus that show some delayed growth rate come around. I believe Brain's growout had a runt that became the biggest fish in the tank. Could you have waited to cull the slower growers at a later time or was it an extreme delayed growth rate?
    Last edited by Mando; 11-13-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast