ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to restock

Registered Member

Default Time to restock

Ok...after a very stressful battle against discus plaque (or at least thats what I've determined) it appears that all of my remaining discus are in great shape, fully back to health and I'd like to restock the ones I have lost. The only thing I'm waiting for is my pair to spawn again...then I'll know they are feeling good.

I'm a little unsure as to whether I'm bordering overstocked though so I'm taking a step back and thinking things over.

I have a 90 gallon planted tank, mostly just swords and some small chunks of drift wood with other plants.

I have a 3 gallon (?) canister filter that I'm very happy with.

Currently I have 7 discus, 5 >1yr and 2 around 5 months. I'd like to be around 12 but I'm thinking thats way to many for this tank especially since the few big ones I have start to make the tank look tiny...

What do you all think about adding more fish?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Time to restock

I would stay at the numbers you are at. You could get another tank
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hi,
    Not to skirt the question, but can I ask when your tank was having problems? Some of these disease issues can be infective for a very long time after they appear to be healthy.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I added 2 new discus from a local store that nearly wiped out my tank. This was in November. I'm confident it's past now but with that said I'm likely not restocking for another 4-6 weeks.

Thinking about a bigger tank...but getting married in May so a new tank pretty much guarantees several new fish on top of the cost of a new tank which can't happen right now...the 90g atleast keeps any additions at a minimum if any at all...

Okay,
    Just a suggestion... be sure to QT the new fish a minimum 4- 6 weeks... and when you are ready... take one of the fish from your existing stock and keep it with the new stock for another 2 weeks or longer. it will help you confirm if theres any problems. Just suggestion.

You'd be surprised at how long a problem can stick around a tank of fish.

best regards,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Breeders! They just can't leave things alone, always multiplying. If it does not have organs then they try tanks.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Nick Klimkowski

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I agree with Pat, don't over stock the tank, just get another...lol.

Registered Member

brewmaster.....completely agree. I made the mistake once and certainly will not make it again. Before I buy any additional fish I will be sure to set up my 36 gallon tank as a qt tank.....settle my new additions in and then add one of the new fish to the main tank....if all goes well after 2 weeks I will assume I'm in the clear.

In the mean time I've been deliberately stirring up the water and substrate in an effort to stir up any dormant bacteria/virus and I haven't seen anything in my tank. I'm planning to wait a bit longer because as I've said I want to see my pair breeding to give me the all clear.

Brewmaster, what do you think it a max population in my 90g?

[QUOTE=dennin7418;1057540]...settle my new additions in and then add one of the new fish to the main tank....if all goes well after 2 weeks I will assume I'm in the clear.
    QUOTE]

Actually is the other way around, add one fish from your existing tank to the quarantine tank where the new discus are.
    -Ismael

Registered Member

The new fish I would be purchasing would be high quality "sterile" fish. The threat would be that the new fish would be infected by something lingering in my main tank....or the new fish would not have the immune system that my main tank inhabitants have after their battle.

Given this I'd think it best to add a new fish to the main tank after QT. If I add an existing fish to the QT tank and my main tank is indeed carrying something new fish can't handle I'll lose them all No?

Real Name
    Rick

First and formemost, you don't cure a virus. If your fish indeed did have the "discus plague" which is a derivative of the herpes virus, they will be forever carriers. Chances are this is not the case, but this needed to be clarified.

As pointied out, your almost already at capacity in that tank, so if your adding more fish, two would be the absolute maximum I would recomend in that one tank.

The new fish I would be purchasing would be high quality "sterile" fish.
    There is no such thing. And although your current fish might indeed look and act healthy, there is a good chance thier immune system will be compromised for quite some time, depending on exactly what they had previously.

I really think you should hold off with any new fish until you get a larger tank, but, if you must, get two new ones, QT for 4-6 weeks, then add one of your current stock to the QT tank and observe for 4 weeks.

-Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 01-10-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you had a "healthy' main tank, and got new fish I would suggest you QT the new fish and take your least favorite from the existing "healthy" stock and add it the the QT tank as a sacrificial lamb. This will often tell you if the new stock is caring something pathogenic to your existing stock.. even 2 apparently healthy groups of fish can have issues when they meet" . Its a standard protocal that I have used for years and others as well do...Its then far easier to deal with the new fish in a QT tank and decide how to handle the issue, especially in your situation.

In your case, You are dealing with a double jeopardy situation. You have existing fish that may or may not be completely healthy and you will have new stock which you should always assume are a potential source of issues ..even when from a trusted source... so really you could go either way, add an old fish to new stock or new fish to old stock.... and see what happens...then decide what to do should one or the other get sick.

I always prefer to add old stock to new..(I trust my stock over new stock anyday ...as the new are in Q tank and easier to treat should it be necessary.

I never assume , believe, or subscribe to new fish being healthy because of where they came from, and highly advise anyone against it... Better to assume the worst and be prepared...even if the fish come from a reputable source. Even the best and most reputable sellers can have issues often that they are not aware of. These are beautiful fish, but they are still just fish and they can get sick, carry pathogens, and fall prey to pathogens like any other living creature.

Just my way of doing things.

hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Not to hijack the thread, but welcome back Al.
    Jay

Registered Member

hmmm...very persuading advise to buy a new tank....perhaps it will go on the wedding registry

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but welcome back Al.
    Jay
    Thanks Jay!

hmmm...very persuading advise to buy a new tank....perhaps it will go on the wedding registry
    I've been known to say "furniture is over rated, buy another tank"..seems appropriate for a wedding registry. and BTW..Congrats

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast