ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Couple Discus Books

Real Name
    Steve

Default A Couple Discus Books

My Dad's a used book collector. 1st editions. He had his own small store for a while. His condo has been at times literally floor to ceiling books with narrow passages (literally ^2 ?). He posts on ebay and has been working harder at selling lately. He's getting up in years, 85. Anyway he always gives folks books when they visit. I have two discus texts he sent me, bith look like from 1991; Untergasser, Discus Health, and Degen, Discus, A Reference Book.
    It's interesting to see what's in a book, given that almost all my knowledge has come from SD. Anyone have any thoughts on these books? I've only skimmed them.
    Steve

Default Re: A Couple Discus Books

Very interesting for a historian.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

I'm familiar with Discus Health. That was the bible for all discus diseases back in the 80's and 90's. It listed all the diseases, had good pictures of the infectious agent, and had very specific medications and dosages for treatment. The English translation from the original German is a little awkward, but still useable. Degen published a number of discus hardcover books, most of whom have generic information.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I have so many discus related books, it's kind of hard to go back and try and read what I had a tough time trying to comprehend then. Remember the old, old tropical fish hobbyist magazines, I mean the ones that were the size of reader's digest I have a bunch of those also.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    My Dad's a used book collector. 1st editions. He had his own small store for a while. His condo has been at times literally floor to ceiling books with narrow passages (literally ^2 ?). He posts on ebay and has been working harder at selling lately. He's getting up in years, 85. Anyway he always gives folks books when they visit. I have two discus texts he sent me, bith look like from 1991; Untergasser, Discus Health, and Degen, Discus, A Reference Book.
    It's interesting to see what's in a book, given that almost all my knowledge has come from SD. Anyone have any thoughts on these books? I've only skimmed them.
    Steve
    I still have their books Undergasser had a couple books and Degan also had a couple books. In fact I order some Degan Discus back then. I can order also any Discus from
    his first book just flip the pages and let them
    know what you like.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 11-01-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Dieter Untergasser knows his stuff when it comes to disease ..Any book by him is worth having in my library IMO..
    I have handbook on fish disease and it is only second to Noga from what I have been told [don't have Noga]..
    Discus books I like Andrew Soh Naked Truth 1&2 ..
    They way this silly world is going books may be a worthwhile investment ..
    Almost lost all respect when you said knowledge was from net ..Till you said SD !
    I like to communicate on the net ..
    I like to read books for knowledge ..Takes more to be published then push post reply !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Steve

When it became clear that my dad was a book hoarder, I remembered Fahrenheit 451, it it always seemed OK.
    I have a couple degrees, and I'm a teacher, so I've had to read a few books and study research methods. I don't read much just for fun anymore, mostly the paper and online news. No wonder I'm going crazy. I read a lot of sci-fi as a kid. Probably dad's influence (How many know who Hari Seldon is?). I have read some fiction since then, but I do blame reading LOTR as a teenager for spoiling me on much else fiction. Although I was a professional classical musician, music is much like that today, too. I listen to my old 70's favorites. If someone like Dave Barry published a few more books, I might enjoy reading again. I tend to do puzzles in bed while my wife reads.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 11-02-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Used to be a voracious reader, one of those kids that would try to read at the dinner table. Then life happened. For the past four decades, I have not read any fiction. Just no time in the day for something that didn't teach me something. As that I head toward retirement, I hope to start reading for vicarious enjoyment again.

Willie

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    ... (How many know who Hari Seldon is?)...
    Wasn't Hari Seldon a protagonist in Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy?

Real Name
    Steve

Yep, you got it!

Registered Member

Back in the 80's I bought all the books I could find. Many mentioned here as well as the Smidt-Frock (sp?), Local guy had some Smidt-Frock discus that kicked off my obsession I haven't been right since. Those fish were very nice I wished I could have them again at this stage of my like. Back then it was pure RO and low pH, they just breed like rats in the low 4.5-5pH.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Back in the 80's I bought all the books I could find. Many mentioned here as well as the Smidt-Frock (sp?), Local guy had some Smidt-Frock discus that kicked off my obsession I haven't been right since. Those fish were very nice I wished I could have them again at this stage of my like. Back then it was pure RO and low pH, they just breed like rats in the low 4.5-5pH.
    Back in the 80's Schmidt Focke number his strain they were up to probably number 8, I had some of his solid blue strain number 7.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Back in the 80's Schmidt Focke number his strain they were up to probably number 8, I had some of his solid blue strain number 7.

Cliff
    The guy I bought them from called the Schmidt-Focke #9 and yes I remember
    Dr. Eduard Schmidt-Focke is the reason we have Red Turquoise and Striated Red strains in the Discus keeping.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post

Cliff
    The guy I bought them from called the Schmidt-Focke #9 (although he may have just made that number up) and yes I remember
    Dr. Eduard Schmidt-Focke is the reason we have Red Turquoise and Striated Red strains in the Discus keeping culture.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    The guy I bought them from called the Schmidt-Focke #9 (although he may have just made that number up) and yes I remember
    Dr. Eduard Schmidt-Focke is the reason we have Red Turquoise and Striated Red strains in the Discus keeping culture.
    Tropical Fish Hobbyist published the Schmidt-Focke book back in the 90's with the front cover of the Red Turquoise.

Cliff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast