ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tail standing, fin melt, HITH, off balanced discus.

Registered Member

Default Re: Tail standing, fin melt, HITH, off balanced discus. 😭

So I dont have to remove the chlorine.
    Alright I will start doing that right away.

I think it may be a swim bladder disorder should I contact a vet about antibiotics?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

You always have to worry about dechlorinator, that’s what it to chlorinators for.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I would just do as I suggested in the prior post.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I would just do as I suggested in the prior post.
    Pat
    Will do! Just double checking. 6 table spoons per 10 gallons of aquarium salt?

Thank you pat

Registered Member

A 4th discus has succumb to this illness. 2 are now floating and 2 are laying on the bottom. ��

Registered Member

Looks like my biggest discus is starting to loose balance. I think I need to get antibiotics for these fish.

I'm pretty sure it's a swim bladder infection. And this requires antibiotics to treat, it wont go away since it's not from a over eating issue.

What do you think?

Real Name
    Brian

I'm in agreement with Pat here but I have a few questions/comments. Please correct me if I get off base...

1. Why are you using RO water in the first place? Your TDS is very low and lowering it diminishes your waters ability to stabilize ph.
    2. Cupramine is for external parasites and is copper based. I've read before that copper is more toxic in low ph. From my experience, overdosing copper can also create disorientation and neurological issues.
    3. You used Fenbendazole. Fenbendazole has a history of creating tail standing issues.
    4. You over dosed PP. This can burn the skin and cause major gill damage (oxygen starvation). Combine this with very ow TDS and your ph can crash causing acid burns and ammonia spikes (cloudy eyes, dissolved fins, etc...).
    5. You treated with Kanaplex. Although it is a weaker version of the pure med, and usually safe to use, this could add just another issue for their organs to deal with.
    6. Your procedures began after seeing possible worms. Why did you treat with Cupramine and PP (external issues)?
    My guess is your discus are mainly suffering from drug overdose and gill damage created by ph crash and PP. I recommend you follow Pat's advise, get them into regular aged tap water with daily water changes and use the amount of salt she recommended.
    Last edited by jeep; 11-03-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Tail standing, fin melt, HITH, off balanced discus.

I am currently following her directions.

I've treated for worms based on previous post as I was recommend to treat with metro/levamisole. A month or so later fish stopped breeding agian and showed signs of worms agian. This is why I went with the fabendozole.

I use RO water for breeding purposes and so that i do not have to use decholorinator all the time.

I do add vitamins to the water tho. And I thought that the low tds would just help keep the ph low. Also I use the RO water to maintain a low PH.

I've been told else were that putting this fish against the glass with a divider to reduce movement and lowering the water level to the height of the fish with a air stone near them is the best method for healing swim bladder disorders. Any advise on this?
    Last edited by Kingcolt; 11-03-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcolt View Post
    I am currently following her directions.

I've treated for worms based on previous post as I was recommend to treat with metro/levamisole. A month or so later fish stopped breeding agian and showed signs of worms agian. This is why I went with the fabendozole.

I use RO water for breeding purposes and so that i do not have to use decholorinator all the time.

I do add vitamins to the water tho. And I thought that the low tds would just help keep the ph low. Also I use the RO water to maintain a low PH.

I've been told else were that putting this fish against the glass with a divider to reduce movement and lowering the water level to the height of the fish with a air stone near them is the best method for healing swim bladder disorders. Any advise on this?
    I do not think your issue is swim bladder. You started treating for worms and ended up with another issue. As Brian stated, Fenbendazole is known to cause fish to tail-stand. Detox as Pat suggested is the way to go. I hope your issues get better soon. You and these fish have gone through a lot.

Registered Member

Thank you for your advice I'm am still following her instructions although gibran out of salt last night. I will be getting more asap.

I lost the 2 that where floating last night ��
    The 2 that are sank to the bottom are still alive though.

Registered Member

I lost the 2 that where floating last night ��
    The 2 that are sank to the bottom are still alive though.

Now one that was perfectly healthy is starting to get this also.

There has to be something else going on here or why else do the healthy ones keep getting sick?

Is any one here sure that's this is from medication? Or is something else going on?

Registered Member

It's been a month if not longer since the fabendozole, there has to be something else going on here?

This may sound like a silly question but what are you feeding these guys.

Jeanne

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcolt View Post
    It's been a month if not longer since the fabendozole, there has to be something else going on here?
    do a search here on Fenbendazole and you will see the issues related to this medication.

Also have you checked your parameters lately after the use of all these meds, you may have destroyed your biologics.

Jeanne

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast