ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tail standing, fin melt, HITH, off balanced discus.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Tail standing, fin melt, HITH, off balanced discus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    Also have you checked your parameters lately after the use of all these meds, you may have destroyed your biologics.

Jeanne
    According to the first post, the biologcal filter is gone. I see ammonia and no nitrates. Brian (jeep) in his last post made some pretty good assessments. The fish look like they've been knocked down from being poisoned. It may have damaged internal organs like liver or kidneys that may take a bit longer to see the real effects from being poisoned/overdosed. It started with "just" worms and they could have survived a long time with those.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    do a search here on Fenbendazole and you will see the issues related to this medication.
    You think over a month later this will effect the fish?
    A quick google search shows that the major effects take ahold of the fish 4 - 6 days after treatment.
    Not over a month later.

Also have you checked your parameters lately after the use of all these meds, you may have destroyed your biologics.

Jeanne
    No because I change the water every day.

This may sound like a silly question but what are you feeding these guys.

Jeanne
    I've been feeding them very sparingly at this point. They will only eat blood worms.

Before they got sick they were eating flake food. Beef heart.
    Last edited by Kingcolt; 11-05-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    According to the first post, the biologcal filter is gone. I see ammonia and no nitrates. Brian (jeep) in his last post made some pretty good assessments. The fish look like they've been knocked down from being poisoned. It may have damaged internal organs like liver or kidneys that may take a bit longer to see the real effects from being poisoned/overdosed. It started with "just" worms and they could have survived a long time with those.
    I've been doing daily water changes. Ammonia shouldn't be effecting them.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcolt View Post
    You think over a month later this will effect the fish?
    A quick google search shows that the major effects take ahold of the fish 4 - 6 days after treatment.
    Not over a month later.

No because I change the water every day.

I'm not saying this is your case, but If the med was added to water, Some of the damages are permanent and some people had to euthanize the fish. One lost his entire fish room. Additionally, you said "The fish did not take this treatment well. They seemed lethargic and show some fin rot/melt."(check page 3 of link below)

Look at this thread as it talks about flubendazole and fenbendazole.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=fenbendazole
    Last edited by Mando; 11-05-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Registered Member

Damn doesn't look good atleast some times they recover after some time has passed.

I'll continue treatment of of daily water changes and salt.

Real Name
    Mervin

I've been doing daily water changes. Ammonia shouldn't be effecting them.
    The ammonia may or may not be affecting them, but a damaged filter by the looks of the reading you provided. But the damage to the liver may have happened a month ago and now the other things like ammonia and other meds may be too much for the liver and the toxins that are present in the body cannot be removerd by he liver or kidney. That's why they look poisoned/over dosed. Keep up he WC's their internal organs may recover. In humans a creatinine tests are done, especially in the immume compromised, like elderly to find the correct dose so the liver will metablize it. Sometimes humans can get overdosed, not every one is the same nor are species of fish that can handle some meds.

Real Name
    Mervin

At ph 8.8 ammonia is very toxic.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    The ammonia may or may not be affecting them, but a damaged filter by the looks of the reading you provided. But the damage to the liver may have happened a month ago and now the other things like ammonia and other meds may be too much for the liver and the toxins that are present in the body cannot be removerd by he liver or kidney. That's why they look poisoned/over dosed. Keep up he WC's their internal organs may recover. In humans a creatinine tests are done, especially in the immume compromised, like elderly to find the correct dose so the liver will metablize it. Sometimes humans can get overdosed, not every one is the same nor are species of fish that can handle some meds.
    I agree with this assessment. If there is a chance for recovery, I would stay your present course. Just remember though, prolonged exposure to salt can be just as harmful.

Registered Member

I haven't dosed salt last 2 days, I was about to buy some more though today. Should I go a few more days with out salt?

Real Name
    Brian

I think at 5-6 tbs per 10g, you could probably go 5 days on, 5 days off for a few weeks to a month+. Heavier concentrations are used to help eradicate certain external bacteria or protozoa, but only for about 10-14 days.

If you see improvement you can ween them off the salt all together...

Registered Member

So my last 3 discus in this tank have been perfectly fine and now suddenly they are rail standing .....

Registered Member

This sucks. My last few discus that seemed to not be bothered at all during any of this turned up today into a tail stand ��

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

This sucks. My last few discus that seemed to not be bothered at all during any of this turned up today into a tail stand ��
    Check your water parameters again. Make sure your water is good.

I'm sorry you're going through this. This is beyond my experience and hopefully the professionals can help.

Real Name
    Brian

I've looked in the archives as well as internet searches and two common factors are ph and fenbendazole. However, I've also seen that the effect of fenbendazole are temporary most of the time, not always.

I don't know what's going on, but everything seems to point to a reaction to fenbendazole. I wish we could be more specific.

Registered Member

I have a large ornate bichir and a African leaf fish and a large pleco in the tank so far all seem to be unaffected. Should I be worried about them doing this too?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast