AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs not sticking to cone

Registered Member

Default Eggs not sticking to cone

Hi all!

So I've been working with a pair and the female's eggs are not sticking to the cone. About the 3rd or 4th attempt last night and only about 3 or 4 eggs stuck to their cone. It's my first time with a pair of discus and just getting back into the hobby.

I'm stumped. I've done a lot of searching and think that this isn't a unique problem, but the prevailing wisdom seems to be that the female will either figure it out or not. Anyone out there happen to have any suggestions?

I'm doing around 70% water changes each day, feeding a variety of foods, and doing about all I can think of to place them in a position to succeed, but I'll admit I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks in advance

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Eggs not sticking to cone

What type of cone is it? I always wondered if a glazed and fired cone with a very slick shiny surface would result in what you're experiencing. Maybe try a different cone or surface for them to lay on.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    What type of cone is it? I always wondered if a glazed and fired cone with a very slick shiny surface would result in what you're experiencing. Maybe try a different cone or surface for them to lay on.
    Good thinking. This is one of those mass produced terra cotta looking cones without a glaze; rather matte looking to be honest.

I'll get a different cone for their next go 'round. Seems to be about every 13 to 15 days.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Daniel

Hmm, that is weird, I would have thought the matte terracotta would be fine. Do you notice them cleaning the spawning area before they lay? Biofilm on the cone could be the other culprit.
    With 3-4 failure to stick spawns though it's worth trying something different to see what happens.
    All the best mate

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Hmm, that is weird, I would have thought the matte terracotta would be fine. Do you notice them cleaning the spawning area before they lay? Biofilm on the cone could be the other culprit.
    With 3-4 failure to stick spawns though it's worth trying something different to see what happens.
    All the best mate
    They're exceptionally diligent in their cleaning, starting at least 36 hours before she makes an attempt. Very weird indeed.

Fingers crossed

Have you tried tipping the cone slightly so they have a different angle to lay on

Jeanne

Real Name
    Mark

Mine lay on un glazed cones, driftwood, and the the vertical black plastic overflow in the display tank, so I don’t think it’s the surface. Are you seeing them actually floating off?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I wonder if this could be diet related?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidkirley View Post
    Hi all!

So I've been working with a pair and the female's eggs are not sticking to the cone. About the 3rd or 4th attempt last night and only about 3 or 4 eggs stuck to their cone. It's my first time with a pair of discus and just getting back into the hobby.

I'm stumped. I've done a lot of searching and think that this isn't a unique problem, but the prevailing wisdom seems to be that the female will either figure it out or not. Anyone out there happen to have any suggestions?

I'm doing around 70% water changes each day, feeding a variety of foods, and doing about all I can think of to place them in a position to succeed, but I'll admit I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks in advance
    The cone is not coated with teflon is it?

If you watch them spawn are they actually getting the eggs on the cone and there falling off or is the female not making good contact with the cone

Jeanne

Registered Member

The problem is not the cone but the eggs have not developed the adhesive glands on this spawn. Better luck on the next spawning.

Cliff

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    The problem is not the cone but the eggs have not developed the adhesive glands on this spawn. Better luck on the next spawning.

Cliff
    Cliff with this happening 3-4 spawns in a row is there anything that can be done to correct it? Diet as Pat postulated? Is it a defect in the females reproductive system? Perhaps a maturity issue?? Cheers mate

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    Have you tried tipping the cone slightly so they have a different angle to lay on

Jeanne
    I haven't. I would have to prop it on something given the type of cone it is. I have another on order off of ebay that's a different style, so perhaps the change in pitch will do them some good!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    The cone is not coated with teflon is it?
    Not as far as I am aware. I purchased it second hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast