ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: heaters and controllers

Real Name
    Steve

Default heaters and controllers

I've been buying heaters for years. I thought I might see if the heater/controller idea works for me. I have 4-75 gal tanks going right now, but I'd like to be able to handle 6-8 tanks.
    Are there controllers out there that handle that many inputs, and I guess have that many probes? Everything I've seen with a quick look has two inputs.

Thanks for any advice.
    Steve

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: heaters and controllers

Steve, I'm working on a heater/controller project I'm really hopeful about. Stay tuned for details

Real Name
    Steve

I see the Inkbird controllers out there. Most look like they have one probe. Aren't there some that let you control 2 tanks separately? I see the dual stage, but that looks like heating and cooling hi/lo ranges. Any advice appreciated. If they're available, I'd like to get 2 controllers that would handle 4 tanks.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm basically frustrated with the newer Aqueon Pro heaters. I'm not sure what going on, but they don't seem to adjust easily; I turn the knob and not much happens, or it then suddenly jumps several degrees. It's annoying, but I do also keep them from going below horizontal. I understand they have a switch that turns them off if they do.

Real Name
    Frank

Doesn’t solve all your requests but I love the BRS solution.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ion&highlight=

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Years ago I got this controller from JEHMCO.COM:ETCI-1R20A(wired)Electronic Temperature Control w/ 2 Receptacles for up to 2400 watts load
    Requires 20 amp twist lock style wall receptacle Includes digital temperature display x 6.5’ long power input cord - L5-20P and 2 x 3-prong grounded receptacles.1000 watt one side 1400 watt second side $125.00.I have an Finnex Deluxe Titanium Tube Heater 500W and an Aqueon Pro Heaters 250W plugged into it. This setup has been running well over three yrs without fail. I'm heating an 125G discus tank @ 84F.

Real Name
    Jake

I have yet to find a controller (except maybe the really expensive ones [Apex]) that allows for multiple temperature probes in order to control multiple tanks off of a single controller. As you've already found out - Inkbird makes a controller that is dual-stage, but it's intended for a heater/chiller combo (marine tanks).

Your cheapest options is going to be something like this for individual aquariums. The next step up would be the BRS controller + heater combo. Both of those allow for easy calibration, and while not very cheap, I use a Thomas Traceable NIST Calibrated Thermometer to calibrate my controllers.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Jake. I was looking at the BRS controller/heater combo they were offering on sale, but they sold out. They said they're due back in on the 20th. Might consider that.

Real Name
    Jake

Hi Steve,

No problem - the BRS heaters and the combos are extremely popular right now due to them just recently releasing them (and also they're fantastic). If they're due back on the 20th, you'll want to keep your eyes peeled for it. I was looking to get a pair of heaters during their Black Friday sale (15% off) but none were in stock. Customer service was extremely friendly and said they were about to put a few models back in stock since a new shipment arrived. I think they were sold out within a couple days.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the BRS combo.