ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Bickering and injury?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Randy

Default Bickering and injury?

Hi All,

I'm new to discus keeping. I've had my fish for a little over 2 weeks. One of the 6 seems to be getting the brunt of the bickering, although he seems to be in the thick of things. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do for the scales which seem to be scraped off? I do not have an isolation tank at this point. Any thoughts?

Water parameters are:
    ph: 6.8
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate 5-10

60 Gallon tank.

Only other occupants are two small plecos.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Bickering and injury?

If you're talking about the yellowish patch near the tail of the red/white patterned fish I do not think that is an injury/scape. It looks like a pigment change or break in the pattern which is not uncommon. The fish looks otherwise healthy and happy, also evidenced by it staying in the thick of things.
    If you're convinced it is an injury I would add 3tbsp/10 salt to sooth the wound and keep any resident bacteria at bay.
    Your fish look nice. What strains and where did you get them? They look like strains Dennis stocks...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Randy

Thank you for the response, I have been worried. I realize it isn't too bad yet, but was worried about it getting worse. I did add some stress coat to the water and have been doing 25-40% wc/day more or less since I got them.

I'm fairly certain it is from the fighting, as the patch is getting larger.

I got them all from Jack Wattley's. I have a Red panda, yellow panda, Alenquer, blue diamond, albino yellow and a Tiger Turquoise. 2019-11-03 152824.jpg

Contemplating adding some live plants. I tried with two last week, but started turning brown so removed them. I like the idea to keep nitrate's down, but may put that off for now...

Real Name
    Daniel

Tank is looking good.
    My red panda's pattern was patchy towards the tail as well. The color change looks similar to yours and was def not an injury. Here he is;
    IMG_20190809_165538.jpg
    Do you have a pic of the day you got them for comparison?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Randy

Maybe you're right. Here's a shot from the first day. I thought it had gotten bigger, considerably... but maybe not. it's not a great angle, but looks about the same.
    first day.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

I think it's a healthy looking fish Randy. With all the hustle & bustle of establishing the pecking order the vividness of doing scus color waxes & wanes. In submissive mode the patch may look more pronounced. Glad you had the arrival day pick to compare. I really think the fish in question looks fine mate!
    I think what makes a panda a panda and not a checkerboard is the partial body pattern coverage.