ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Orp/redox

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Orp/redox

Is anyone out there following their tank's ORP/REDOX value and if so how are you using that parameter, what is your target and what do you use to change the value relative to target. Last discussion I could find on SimplyDiscus dates to 2006 and what I have read is confusing. Seems more used in marine tanks with ozone and ozone use seems to be falling off. Just wondering if anyone keeping discus is playing with this and if so what your experiences are.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Orp/redox

I've never even heard of those values in 38yrs of fish keeping Don...never had a marine tank though so maybe that's why...

I've heard of it but it was over my head and my fish were doing fine without me spending time figuring it all out.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Thanks much. Sounds like a great answer. Having been out for 30+ years, there is more than enough new to absorb without trying to further analyze all of the contradictory data I have found over the last couple of months in re-REDOX. I take it that means that ozone is also not much used when taking care of discus. I am looking at getting an apex system to fully automate water changes as lugging lots of buckets of water is no longer in my wheelhouse. Had a great 30 year army career, but my back has turned somewhat wimpy on me. Apex includes an ORP sensor in it, so in the spirit of if you have it you ought to use it I had to ask.