ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tank Size

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Default Tank Size

I'm growing out 10 discus in a 40b tank. I have an empty 120 that I want to move them to at some point. At what size should I move them out of the 40b? Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: Tank Size

my best guess is about the size of a silver dollar... more room is always better.

Real Name
    Matt

Hi, 10 discus in a 40g is super overstocked. How big are they? If they are 3-4” or more I would only keep 4-5 in there, keeping them all in this tank will stunt their growth. I would move them all out. They would really appreciate the 120g. Lots of space to grow and swim. I would get it cycled and move them there soon. This is my opinion as I have seen what stunting is and it is really sad because I raised an Angelfish in a 10g and another one in a 55g. The one in the 55g is huge whilst the one in the 10g is way smaller. Thanks
    Matt

Registered Member

It's not as straight forward as just tank size though, ability to maintain water conditions have an influence so filtration and water changes come into it as well. With my current brood of discus I've opted to raise them for their first few weeks in small tanks (18x15x15), they are just coming up 8 weeks old and already 60mm in length, there's no stunting there! Because they're crowded there's been absolutely no sign of aggression at all even at feeding time. Smaller tanks make for much quicker and easier cleaning, these are getting two 90% water changes a day at the minute. Admittedly they are about to be moved to a larger tank this weekend though!

Raise fish in a 10 and a 55 with the same frequency and % water changes and they'll grow quicker in the 55, but do a complete water change in the 10g one daily and I'd bet they'd grow faster there!

Like the others said, when you should move them depends on what size they are, but also what maintenance you're doing.

Real Name
    Willie

Daily, complete water changes will address most problems. If you read the threads on the grow out contests, you'll see the impact of huge water changes. Most fish hatcheries crowd their discus but compensate with huge water changes daily.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    TONY

Daily, complete water changes will address most problems. If you read the threads on the grow out contests, you'll see the impact of huge water changes. Most fish hatcheries crowd their discus but compensate with huge water changes daily.

Willie
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"