AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for high-end Altum angelfish

Registered Member

Default Looking for high-end Altum angelfish

Hi everybody,

I am looking to purchase several high-grade Altum angels; roughly around 10-12 fish in total. I am happy to buy younger/smaller fish that will grow up in my tank, as I want these to last long term and am not looking for older fish.

When I do an internet search, Wattley discus and Arizona Aquatics Gardens (AZGardens) comes up - does anybody have experience with either of these? I'm happy to buy locally from anybody selling them...

I owned several Altums a while ago and loved them but I am not sure if they were Atabapo vs. Orinico, etc. Anybody with advice on the prettier strain of the two (Wattley is selling both types)? I don't like the Peruvian strains as much, so I'm looking to avoid those.

I'm also looking for locally-bred high-end rams - specifically German blues and electric blues (non-balloon type). I'd love to buy some healthy young fish from somebody local for this as well.

Thanks for your help!
    Josh
    Last edited by Josho923; 11-06-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: adding rams in my request

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Looking for high-end Altum angelfish

I just had a great experience with Shoreline-Aquatics.com. Thomas sells tank raised Orinoco-types, which I think are the prettier type. You can see the spawn, wrigglers, free swimming fry, etc. on the website. They're just starting out, so there's a couple of good introductory deals available now.

The fish I got a week ago started eating right away and I've got a real good feeling about them. I've spoken to him a few times, so I encourage you to mention that I sent you.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Thanks a lot Willie, and I agree - I think the ones I previously owned were Orinoco-type and I tend to prefer their look in all the pictures/videos I look at.

I'll check them out now and will mention you to him; thanks again.

Good luck with your new arrivals!

Registered Member

@Willie PS Are they on Aquabid? I'm pretty sure I've seen them/their videos on there and was interested in/liking what I was seeing, ha

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I can vouch for Jack Wattley, however, I have never seen juvenile altums. The ones he keeps/sells are massive.

Real Name
    Frank

I can second Wattley, however I have only purchased Discus. The angels are gorgeous though.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Josho923 View Post
    @Willie PS Are they on Aquabid? I'm pretty sure I've seen them/their videos on there and was interested in/liking what I was seeing, ha
    Yes, they are. You'll get their introductory deal only on the website, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Yes, they are. You'll get their introductory deal only on the website, Willie
    Hi Willie, are the altum parents wild?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks @Mando and @fljones3 On the Wattley website, the individual Orinoco Altums for sale are listed as 3 inches "tip to tip," so that seems like somewhat of a juvenile size. The package deals seem to contain much larger fish based on the listings of dimensions, at least.

Registered Member

Any recommendations on rams? I've kept rams and bred them in the past, but lately the ones I've had shipped/see in stores are often not healthy and already struggling on arrival.

Real Name
    Steve

coralbandit on aquabid. Tom is here on SD with that name also. I have some nice GBR and electric blues I got from him. Doing very well.

Registered Member

Thanks a lot @RogueDiscus ! I'll reach out to him once I'm ready to pull the trigger on the purchase.

Never buy from AZ gardens-- "F" with the BBB --- and look at the reviews of this business on Yelp. My own purchase several years ago from them I had to file a dispute through Paypal. How they are still in business is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    coralbandit on aquabid. Tom is here on SD with that name also. I have some nice GBR and electric blues I got from him. Doing very well.
    I purchased a pair of dark rams from him-- very beautiful fish.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Josho923 View Post
    Thanks @Mando and @fljones3 On the Wattley website, the individual Orinoco Altums for sale are listed as 3 inches "tip to tip," so that seems like somewhat of a juvenile size. The package deals seem to contain much larger fish based on the listings of dimensions, at least.
    If you are interested, I would just call Gabe and talk to him directly. He will work with you if he can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast