pic of month     Kenny's Discus

Thread: sponge or no sponge

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default sponge or no sponge

My pigeon pair spawned in my 55g and wrigglers last night (11th spawn, 3rd time wrigglers). Should I remove the sponge filter?
    On last two spawns (20g) the fry was attracted to the sponge and not attaching.

I also have an Eheim 2217 which I rigged three spray bars into one long bar across the back length of the tank. I enlarged the holes on the end bar, there is very subtle water movement in the tank, surface water is very calm.
    The 2217 have a pre-filter, will the pre-filter keep fry from being sucked into filter?

I read some people take out the sponge and some donít, same with lowering the water level.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: sponge or no sponge

I'd recommend you remove the sponge once the fry goes free swimming. The critical period of attachment is < 24 hours. Once they attach, my experience is that you can resume sponge filtration.

Good luck, Willie
    Whenever you feel stupid, remember that there are people out there looking for Pokemon.

Platinum Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Armando

you can always put white or beige stockings over the sponge.

Registered Member
    iTrader

thanks for the advice. I will see if i can find beige or white stockings, if not I will remove sponge. Once they attached do they tend to stay attached and able to find and reattach?
    How long after attachment before I resume with sponge filter?

What about lowering the water level?

iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Willie

1. Before the eggs hatch is, in my experience, a great opportunity to make big water changes and get the tank pristine. Eggs are very tough and can be exposed to air during a water change with no problems.
    2. Not all pigeon blood types have problem with attachment. Unless you know that to happen, I would just shut off the aeration when the fry goes free swimming and see what happens.
    3. If the fry swim away from the parents, then I'd remove the sponge and drop the water level as much as possible.
    4. Once the fry start to feed from the parents, in my experience, they do not leave. At that point, you can refill the tank and add the sponge back.

Good luck, Willie
    Whenever you feel stupid, remember that there are people out there looking for Pokemon.