ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sponge or no sponge

Registered Member

Default Re: sponge or no sponge

I gave artificial rearing another try (22nd spawn), I pulled the fry after free swimming into a 3 gal tank with heater and sponge filter. I fed fry golden pearl 5-50 micron and egg yoke power along with BBS. The golden pearl and egg yoke powder tend to foul the water quickly. Not sure if they ate any of the food. On day 2 they all mostly stay on the bottom with a few swimming about. Around day 3-4 they start dying off. I did a 30% water change with same temp once per day when I get home from work.

Is the 5-50 micron GP too tiny for the fry? I have 100-200 micron ordered. Thinking of giving vinegar eels a try at least they won't foul the water. What am I doing wrong? Any comments/suggestions is greatly appreciated. I very much like to see how the off springs of the pair will look.

Real Name
    Francis

Perhaps feeding them
    Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs...... https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/br...e-shrimp-eggs/

HTH
    Grasshopper
    Francis

All cichlids being egg layers have the ability to know if their eggs are viable and if they're not they will destroy them, if they allow the eggs to hatch they may also destroy the fry if they believe they are not viable, it's natures way of ensuring that only the strong survive, so rather try and artficially raise them I would consider several things, are the breeders stressed, what kind of tank setup do you have going, and it could also be conditioning, what do you feed, and also golden pearls and egg yolk are not good choices for fry food

Jeanne

Real Name
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    All cichlids being egg layers have the ability to know if their eggs are viable and if they're not they will destroy them, if they allow the eggs to hatch they may also destroy the fry if they believe they are not viable, it's natures way of ensuring that only the strong survive, so rather try and artficially raise them I would consider several things, are the breeders stressed, what kind of tank setup do you have going, and it could also be conditioning, what do you feed, and also golden pearls and egg yolk are not good choices for fry food

Jeanne
    It's not actual egg yolk but baker egg yoke......Artificial raising Discus can be done with a bowl with added egg yoke paste.
    The type of egg yoke best use when first starting would be the baker egg yoke. Paste a small amount of yoke on the side of the bowl and raise the
    water level up to the yoke level. Change the water every hour on your first
    try, on the 3rd day try feeding BBS, if only a small percentage takes the
    BBS keep feeding the yoke for 5 days. At the end of the 5th day you can
    feed the BBS .Cliff Young speaks on the subject of artificially raising fry.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ht=yoke+powder
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    It's not actual egg yolk but baker egg yoke......Artificial raising Discus can be done with a bowl with added egg yoke paste.
    The type of egg yoke best use when first starting would be the baker egg yoke. Paste a small amount of yoke on the side of the bowl and raise the
    water level up to the yoke level. Change the water every hour on your first
    try, on the 3rd day try feeding BBS, if only a small percentage takes the
    BBS keep feeding the yoke for 5 days. At the end of the 5th day you can
    feed the BBS .Cliff Young speaks on the subject of artificially raising fry.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ht=yoke+powder
    Ok I'm not familiar with Cliff and did he ever post pics of what he artificially raised

Jeanne

Real Name
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    Ok I'm not familiar with Cliff and did he ever post pics of what he artificially raised

Jeanne
    The link already provided photos....... Cliff Young/CliffsDiscus and he is highly regarded in this forum.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    The link already provided photos....... Cliff Young/CliffsDiscus and he is highly regarded in this forum.
    I only see photos of a bowl of fry what became of them and where are the pics

Jeanne

Real Name
    Willie

I've seen Cliff's setup in San Francisco where he raised fry artificially. He knows what he's talking about.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I cut this off that old thread. Cliff is not only experienced and knowledgeable having run his own hatchery, but charitable as well offering his knowledge free of charge!! Way to go Cliff!!

"I have also given lectures monthly for 5 years at the California Academy of Science under the
    direction of San Francisco Aquarium Society, on all topics concerning raising
    and breeding Discus. Annually Discus hatchery visits trip to local breeders were organized, yearly open house to my hatchery were available for
    members where they can physically see how the artifically tech is done.
    Once a year members interested in raising artifically can sign up for a one
    to one lab training and even a annual Christmast dinner. All of this for a $15 membership that went to the San Franciscos Aquarium Society, I received
    nothing as a volunteer."

Registered Member

I have not tried the bowl method. I just don't have the time to feed and change water every hour or so, wish I do. I have tried Big Tuck's coffee filter method but failed at it.
    As long as the pair spawns which is like every other week or so, I will keep at it and hopefully fish and I get it right.

I will try the bowl method next, have a new spawn last night (24th). Do I need to feed and change water every hour? What would be the minimal feeding? I might have to plan this out as my vacation project. Should I pull the eggs on cone or wait until free swimming?

Thanks Seanyuki for the link, I will read up. Thanks all.
    Last edited by 4eye gold fish; 02-12-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I cut this off that old thread. Cliff is not only experienced and knowledgeable having run his own hatchery, but charitable as well offering his knowledge free of charge!! Way to go Cliff!!

"I have also given lectures monthly for 5 years at the California Academy of Science under the
    direction of San Francisco Aquarium Society, on all topics concerning raising
    and breeding Discus. Annually Discus hatchery visits trip to local breeders were organized, yearly open house to my hatchery were available for
    members where they can physically see how the artifically tech is done.
    Once a year members interested in raising artifically can sign up for a one
    to one lab training and even a annual Christmast dinner. All of this for a $15 membership that went to the San Franciscos Aquarium Society, I received
    nothing as a volunteer."
    Very nice, is Cliff still lecturing? Where do I sign up for membership? I am in San Francisco !!!!!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Not sure mate, that thread is well over 10 years old. Cliff is still active in the site so maybe shoot him a PM and ask...
    CliffsDiscus is his site name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12