AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: how to move parents

Registered Member

Default how to move parents

I have a pair ,btxbss female, that have been laying eggs on the glass and end up eating the eggs.
    about 2-1/2 wks ago I was feeding them and I noticed eggs on the sponge filter lift tube. this is a dyi
    ell shaped hydro 5. It was laying over at a 45 degree angle so there was no way I could make a guard for them.
    Two days later I noticed a movement from the eggs and was very happy. they finally prove out to be a pair.
    Next day they were gone, another meal.
    The next day I woke up with a fever, ect and didn't go down to the fish room for 2 wks. Yesterday I went down there to check, feed, ect. and lo and behold there was about 40 or 50 babies on both parents. She must have move them to a spot were I couldn't see them.
    Anyway, these boys are pretty big and I was thinking of moving the parents because I think there too big to be still on the parents
    and the female in particular is starting to look a little ragged. Also, I don't have any bs eggs so I don't know what will happen if I
    do seperate them.
    Questions-1- these guys are some where in the 2 wk old time frame, are they too young to be separated?
    2- If i should separate them how do I do that without taking some babies with them.
    3- since I don't have bs can I start them on very fine fdbw or flake?
    Thank you
    Jay

Default Re: how to move parents

I would wait till I bought the BBS eggs and had them living in the culture. When I net the parents I have never gotten a baby with the mom and dad. If I did, I'd just net it out and put it back.
    Mama Bear

I would get the bbs going and get the fry eating good, you'll know because the parents will shake them off,once the fry are eating good you can remove them.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Willie

If the fry are two weeks free swimming, they'll start to eat beef heart. Not sure if you need to bother with baby brine shrimp, only because they need to weaned to solid food right around now anyway. The growth difference between bbs and beef heart in discus fry is absolutely striking. In my experience, most hobbyists keep the fry on bbs too long.

Good luck either way, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.