AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New tank beginnings

Real Name
    Mark

Talking New tank beginnings

I decided since I have 2 active breeding pairs I might take a run at raising a group. I have two 40 breeders for pairs set up but nothing for late stages of grow out. So I started scanning the classifieds.
    Craigslist produced nothing, so for fun, I hit the local saltwater forum and found thisF9C230B7-EF35-4DD7-944C-7D113C7B112F.jpeg630F1503-18A6-474C-A39A-4716256DAE5A.jpeg
    The tank is 150 gal drilled with center overflow. Footprint is 60”x24”x20”. It also came with an acrylic 40 gal sump. And here is the best part. FREE!!!!!!!
    There was a large stand also but it was rotten on the bottom so I left it for him to toss on the burn pile. It needs a bath in vinegar but it should clean up nice
    My plan is to use it for grow out but if that doesn’t happen it might be a home for wilds

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: New tank beginnings

Nice!! Great footprint. Even better price

Real Name
    Mark

Should take a poll on how many gallons of vinegar it will take lol

Real Name
    Jake

For stains like those, have you tried using something a little stronger? I've had good luck cleaning up aquariums like that using Barkeeper's Friend. All it is is oxalic acid - much stronger than vinegar and doesn't contain any detergents. I found with vinegar that you have to really give it some elbow grease to get a lot of that salt and scale off. With barkeeper's friend, I usually take the power and turn it into a thick slurry so that I can wipe it on and it'll stick.

I will say if you choose that method that you should consider using gloves to protect your hands when cleaning.

Real Name
    Mark

If it was still summer I would have gone with muriatic acid from the pool store, but we are supposed to get snow tonight.