AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Has anyone tried to breed small discus?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Has anyone tried to breed small discus?

First, I want to distinguish between runts and stunted discus, if possible. I have two nice runts, about a year old, from a snakeskin pair, at about 2 1/2". Good shape, nice eye to body ratio, just stayed small. I've got them in with some rams and an angel, sort of a community tank. Doing fine, and showing the usual pecking or flirting behavior. So, what if they spawned? Could they produce nicely shaped small discus? What a concept. Could be interesting for the hobby.

Registered Member

Default Re: Has anyone tried to breed small discus?

The size of those small Discus are because of their environment, but their offsprings can
    grow up to be normal size and shape with the correct environment.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    The size of those small Discus are because of their environment, but their offsprings can

Cliff
    what about the size of eggs/fry? would they be normal size?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post

Cliff
    Hi Cliff. Thanks. They came from a small batch, so I guess from the start there were probably some environmental limitations, but I did get a nice group out of it. These were just the couple that probably hid and hung on until the rest were gone. Again, environment. I'm not sure if "small" was a good idea, or just making waves, but I thought I'd ask. As long as they get along where they are, they're fine.

Real Name
    Matt

Steve, I have bred 3” in the past and they have brought me wigglers. No fry unfortunately, blame my darn well water. They kept getting fungus, even with methylene blue. Anyways, I think they should be fine and Cliff answered my question that has been stuck in my head for a while which is if the fry would also be small or if they would grow to adult. Steve, I think if you know how to breed well (I believe that you really do) you should be fine.

Matt

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4eye gold fish View Post
    what about the size of eggs/fry? would they be normal size?
    The size of the eggs and fry really doesn't matter too much, it's the genetic that determine the size. Normally for the Turquoise type the fry should almost double
    in size each day, by the time the fry are 6 weeks old the should be about the size of a dime excluding the tail and fins. Pigeonblood Discus are little faster growth and BlueDiamonds are slower.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Cliff. Thanks. They came from a small batch, so I guess from the start there were probably some environmental limitations, but I did get a nice group out of it. These were just the couple that probably hid and hung on until the rest were gone. Again, environment. I'm not sure if "small" was a good idea, or just making waves, but I thought I'd ask. As long as they get along where they are, they're fine.
    As long as they are healthy now then they are fine, just keep up with your regular routine
    because these fish sometime don't like changes.

Cliff