ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Discus continues to deteriorate

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Discus continues to deteriorate

I made a thread about it on the kids forum .Lots of responses from people who have learned how to use it .Mostly discus and ram keepers and breeders .
    I hope my links transfer ;

There is lots of info on using potassium permanganate out there and I encourage all interested in trying this product to do as much research as possible.
    I usually refer to 4 different links to describe what it is , how ,why and what I use it for .
    The link for mixing is no longer available was originally found on BIDKA[ British International Discus Keeper Association ] if you all want to look for it ?
    So first link is definition of PP
    Next is a link from Skeptical Aquarist https://web.archive.org/web/20160313...m-permanganate
    And this link is from the SA link https://web.archive.org/web/20160315...manganate_.htm
    So it is simple and if you choose there may be other methods to make the solution you will use.One link I listed has a mix but if possible stick with mine .
    You can math this out how you want but to get your stock solution you mix 75 grams of the powder with 1,000 ml water. If you have purified water [RO] use it . As I said you can math down however you want 1,000 ml is more then a pond keeper will need. So 7.5 grams to 100ml is fine also .
    Once you have that mix ratio made you need 2 drops of the solution per gallon of aquarium to acheive the 2ppm treatment level. 1 drop per gallon equals 1ppm .EASY MATH .
    It is important you read all the links .
    All the info for safe and practical treatment is provided.
    THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE ! It is not a short cut and there are real risk using this product.
    Each link has warnings in them that should be heeded.
    I am more then happy to answer questions for anyone who wants ,but lets try to make them ones that are not answered in the links ! YOU GOT TO READ THEM ALL IF YOU WANT TO PLAY !
    This stuff is to serious to not read all the info.
    So if you make it past that scare tactics I use and the ones that start a couple of the links and read all and learn about this product things that most struggle with disease wise will be made much easier for you. This is not so much for those with one small tank as much as multiple tanks or fish rooms ..
    The applications for this product are so diverse that I use it when my tanks are healthy not just to cure issues ! Unlike many other 'medicines' this product will not treat one single thing .
    It kills what you dose it strong enough to . A pathogen/parasite ,snail ,your fish . It kills .The beauty is you can measure proper application amount and with careful experiments/experience you can learn to confidently use it just like dechlorinator .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Thank you! I’ve been reading! Got a little more to read today.

I went by Jack Wattley today to pick up some meds and he told me that it’s capillaria. He also told me that 1g in a 109 is nothing. He looked into his book for meds and when we did the math, the book said to dose prazi @ 2.96g for 109g tank.

Real Name
    Tom

I like hearing my common sense 3-4X dose seems to fit !
    Still crazy I know but you have to interpret or judge what you intake ..My trusted list is short but sweet ..
    Lucky you near JW..He is missed I am glad the family and all carry on his history ..We all owe him something ,you know like a smile and thanks Jack !
    What book ??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Thank you! I’ve been reading! Got a little more to read today.

I went by Jack Wattley today to pick up some meds and he told me that it’s capillaria. He also told me that 1g in a 109 is nothing. He looked into his book for meds and when we did the math, the book said to dose prazi @ 2.96g for 109g tank.
    Hi Armando, so Gabe recommended prazi for capillaria worms? Capillaria worms are small red worms and are not tape worms which is what prazi is used for. Best to use levamisole for capillaria.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

I agree with Pat. The only treatment for capillaria I know of is levamisole or fenbendazole. People also tend to rave about Ksuri, although I've never had any experience with it.

Have you had a chance to examine the feces under a microscope or is it not eating? I would examine any feces because if one is affected, they all may but just not showing signs.

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Worms...spx?pageid=367

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ogy/capillaria
    Last edited by jeep; 12-23-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

With as much as I am on this forum, I’m shocked I missed your response Patty. He might have miss named the worm. However, he also wanted me to do a levamisole dip on the fish. He said the fish will want to jump out of the bucket but it’s effective. I’m just scared I’ll fail.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I agree with Pat. The only treatment for capillaria I know of is levamisole or fenbendazole. Fenben can be adminstered in food and Panacure can be administered in water. People also tend to rave about Ksuri, although I've never had any experience with it.

Have you had a chance to examine the feces under a microscope or is it not eating? I would examine any feces because if one is affected, they all may but just not showing signs.

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Worms...spx?pageid=367

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ogy/capillaria
    He had solid orange feces today because of the pellets. I have not had the time to collect a sample. Or rather, I’ve had the time, however, when I do, he doesn’t release any. We are on a “tag, your it” basis.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

His tail is starting to look pretty bad. Not sure what’s going on with this fish. Might cut my losses and put him down. I don’t want him to suffer anymore.

81A19719-1DF9-4173-88B2-93B43456776F.jpg1FB9783B-709B-4665-B44A-E6F89695A2DF.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sorry to hear this Armando but sometimes this is the best option.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234