ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus continues to deteriorate

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Discus continues to deteriorate

This problem has been on going and I'm about to lose this fish. Brian was helping me via PM but nothing is working so i'm doing this thread to get more of your inputs.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Nothing unusual just getting very skinny. I'm starting to notice that he misses some of his food and gives up and goes for the next one, misses, and goes to the next, etc. eventually he will get a good bite in. This has been happening for a long time.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

deteriorating. still eats just misses a lot; this missing started recently. Good color feces, not hiding, very social and flirtatious with his partner. He is my confirmed pair male.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    I ran Al's de-worming Q/T process a few weeks ago. I ran Prazi first and then 3 treatments of levamisole 7 days apart.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

90g 11 adult discus 6"+

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    50% every other day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

BB tank, running for 2years+

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    24-48hr aging. No ph swing and pretty consistent. Nov 11: 6.93 @ 9am, 7.01 @ 2pm and 7.04 @ 8pm

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Prime is added to the tank. I usually dose double the amount since I have ammonia in my tap

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___86__

- ph __7.04___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __<10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _100%___

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    none

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

9am: beef heart (Frozen blood worms before)
    12pm: tetra granules
    3pm: tetra granules
    6pm : tetra granules
    9pm: 2x Al's FDBW

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by Mando; 11-12-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando
    Last edited by Mando; 11-12-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Discus continues to deteriorate

Weird mate, sorry to hear. Do you think maybe it's physiological, like perhaps it's blind in 1 eye or something?? Could be the picture angle but the lense in the right eye looks opaque...
    Last edited by danotaylor; 11-12-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I'm not sure, Dan. I know that he is roughly 5 years old. Not sure what to do here. I was thinking of putting him with my growout since he has a better chance of eating there.

I also don't know why the photo's are upside down.

He is the only one in the tank that is skinny. Everyone else is nice and fat.
    Last edited by Mando; 11-12-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel

This is what im seeing...is the picture angle or is the right eye lense opaque?
    Screenshot_20191112-094138.jpg
    Screenshot_20191112-094149.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

It's angled. I caught him while he was turning. He was in front of the outtake tube and I could not get a good pic. I was also running late for work. His eyes are crystal clear.

Also, his belly looks like it's sunken in. Like if I pinched it with my fingers. I tried to capture it in the photo but it was hard.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

573882DF-9C64-4150-B5E5-454242254C16.jpg
    This was him over a year ago.

Real Name
    Matt

That’s extremely weird. He looks super healthy from the one year ago photo. Have you tried maybe feeding live food to spark his appetite? I had a discus who was lazy and wouldn’t go after food, but when I fed some live food he went crazy. Ever since has been eating fine. Maybe that’s my luck?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDish View Post
    That’s extremely weird. He looks super healthy from the one year ago photo. Have you tried maybe feeding live food to spark his appetite? I had a discus who was lazy and wouldn’t go after food, but when I fed some live food he went crazy. Ever since has been eating fine. Maybe that’s my luck?
    I've been sporadically feeding live black worms and that's how I noticed he misses his food. He also does not eat from the floor. He's a picky eater. Brian has been helping me for the last few months but this morning I saw him a bit skinnier so I figured I will eventually lose this fish.

My only solution right now is to put him with my growout.

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry he's not improving. Have you tried Prazi?

Without a microscope view of the feces it's hard to know exactly whats going on.

Hopefully someone else can see if we missed anything...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Sorry he's not improving. Have you tried Prazi?

Without a microscope view of the feces it's hard to know exactly whats going on.

Hopefully someone else can see if we missed anything...
    Yes, did Prazi as the first does. I did not mean to put PP above. I have a microscope, I will do this tonight.

Real Name
    Brian

It may not be a bad idea to put it in the community tank as well. If it's somehow a behavioral issue, maybe the others can spark some interest...

Real Name
    Daniel

Wowsers, the then and now shots don't even look like the same fish. Mando I'm sorry mate, but I have no clue how to direct you. I certainly do hope that he can be restored to his former glory somehow. All the best to you sir!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It may not be a bad idea to put it in the community tank as well. If it's somehow a behavioral issue, maybe the others can spark some interest...
    He is in the community tank. I'm thinking of putting him with my growout. Any thoughts? I think it's a personality temperament issue now.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Armando, I do not have specific suggestions except perhaps this fish is just getting old. Also Danny may be onto something with the sight issues. I would suggest not adding this fish in with any fry in case it is carrying something which may be harmful to the fry.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast