AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird Discus Behaviour: Shaking & Pecking

Default Re: Weird Discus Behaviour: Shaking & Pecking

Quote Originally Posted by jamesx View Post
    Would flipping my heater horizontally work as well? Right now the heater is in upright position.
    I would say yes to flipping the heater, and I was not suggesting you promote breeding by adding a cone or slate, but more of a deterrent to the heater, as Pat said their curious teenagers so if they want to pick and clean something let it be something safe.

Jeanne

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    I would say yes to flipping the heater, and I was not suggesting you promote breeding by adding a cone or slate, but more of a deterrent to the heater, as Pat said their curious teenagers so if they want to pick and clean something let it be something safe.

Jeanne
    Thanks a lot Jeanne. Totally understood! I will flip the heater once I get home tonight.

Registered Member

I just wanna share an update: my fish spawned!!

Luckily they didn't spawn on my heater as I have flipped it horizontally. They quickly switched to my filter which is another vertical object next to the heater. Last night after the daily water change, I saw them dancing around the filter and pecking it like crazy again. I just ignored these behaviours as told and turned off the light.

This morning, when I turned the light back on, I immediately saw a few eggs on my filter! It was weird that I only saw a few. I wonder if the fish have eaten most of the eggs, or there just weren't many eggs laid. The eggs were a bit white in color and I thought they may never hatch.

However, if they spawn on the filter again, should I try to hold back on my water change and wait out? I was super excited!

Sounds like you have early bloomers, congrats

Jeanne

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    Sounds like you have early bloomers, congrats

Jeanne
    Haha. Thanks Jeanne. Should I stop the water change and wait out for 48 hours next time I see them spawning? What are the chances of hatching if the eggs were laid on a filter intake?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

You will greatly reduce their growth if you let them. Put a sponge on the filter intake so they don’t spawn. If they spawn on the glass, then you’re screwed lol.

Nonetheless, freaking congrats! They like your husbandry.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesx View Post
    Haha. Thanks Jeanne. Should I stop the water change and wait out for 48 hours next time I see them spawning? What are the chances of hatching if the eggs were laid on a filter intake?
    I don't know that I would change anything your doing your obviously firing on all 8 cylinders for them to want to spawn to begin with and far as the eggs hatching on the filter tube is gonna be a wait and see.

Jeanne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12