AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus arriving soon getting everything ready

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Default Discus arriving soon getting everything ready

Hi everyone,

I anticipate the arrival of my discus late next week I'm just trying to go my ducks in a order

Here is my plan so far

6 juvies are 3"-4" is what I will be buying

I planned to grow them out in a 75 gallon tank

Here is what I plan of doing

-Grow out tank 75 gallons BB covered with glass lids
    -Running the tank at 82 degree's
    -filtered with a ehiem 2215 filter currently running on my display tank intake will be pre-filtered and filter will be cleaned prior to the discus arriving
    -Low wattage light with ramp up and ramp down photo period

Regimen

-2 feedings a day one alternating with Discus D 50 pellets and FDBW
    -50% daily waterchanges/ vacuum using aged water temp matched to re-fill the tank
    - weekly tank wall wipe down

I have a 30 gallon tested with a spare filter and heater standing by in the event I need to separate any of them for whatever reason

I'm open to criticism and advice on my setup, or regimen hence the reason I'm posting.

I also have a problem with the 75 gallon tank. I filled it today and noticed a tiny leak at the bottom of tank (this is why I always test my tanks before fish arrive.) I am going to reseal the tank tomorrow and let it dry for several day's. I will fill and drain the tank twice. In a pinch if the tank still leaks I will bite the bullet and buy a new one. I've resealed a tank before so I'm not concerned if it will hold water.

Fil

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Default Re: Discus arriving soon getting everything ready

Geez I just realized that this probably not the best section on the forum for this thread. I'm asking if a mod can please move this to the appropriate section. My apologies

Real Name
    Frank

You might consider that for a 3-4 inch grow out tank you will have to feed more frequently than 2x a day.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Would you suggest 3x per day or more than that?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Sounds like you have not started the cycling process? what are you plans with this?

As far as feeding, since they are 3-4"s I would feed at least 4 times a day as a min. It's all on the end results you are after. If you just want to enjoy a 5" fish and a discus tank in general, twice a day is fine and for growth, 4+ feeds.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Sounds like you have not started the cycling process? what are you plans with this?

As far as feeding, since they are 3-4"s I would feed at least 4 times a day as a min. It's all on the end results you are after. If you just want to enjoy a 5" fish and a discus tank in general, twice a day is fine and for growth, 4+ feeds.
    4 feeds ok that's can be done. I'm moving my filter from my established display tank which is well stocked the filter should have more than enough beneficial bacteria. I shouldn't experience any cycle problems with that filter.

Real Name
    Brendan

All sounds pretty good apart from what's mentioned above. However for me I'd be opting for a new tank, discus are expensive and tanks are not. I personally would not be taking any risk with them or my home, there is nothing to say a tiny leak won't turn into something catastrophic. With all that into consideration it sounds like you're on the right track.

Real Name
    Brian

Moved to beginners section

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by planter View Post
    4 feeds ok that's can be done. I'm moving my filter from my established display tank which is well stocked the filter should have more than enough beneficial bacteria. I shouldn't experience any cycle problems with that filter.
    Oh, you mentioned cleaning it. I figured you would bleach or hydrogen peroxide it since it was in another tank. I would not mix the tank equipment, you may pass something unwanted to the discus.

what strains are you going for?

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by planter View Post
    Would you suggest 3x per day or more than that?
    From what I have read 4x min up to 5x. You only want to feed what they can eat in 3-5 minutes so its not huge.

Real Name
    Brian

I feed according to my commitment to clean their water. On juvies I feed 6-8 times per day and do minimum 50% water changes per day. Adults I feed 3-4 times per day and change their water at the same time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Oh, you mentioned cleaning it. I figured you would bleach or hydrogen peroxide it since it was in another tank. I would not mix the tank equipment, you may pass something unwanted to the discus.

what strains are you going for?
    If that's the case how do you guys go about cycling a tank to eliminate this problem? I can't imagine every tank setup is done with fish less cycling.

I'm getting a group of blue diamonds

Real Name
    Matt

You could do a fish-in-cycle but that puts your fishes lives at risk. I would go with the fish less cycle.
    Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Well I plan to move these fish to my show tank once they are grown out. Won't I have to worry about that problem when that time comes?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Well I will be getting my fish this week I have everything setup the my 75 gallon tank is partially cycled. I went the fishless cycle route. Right now the tank is still showing nitrite but ammonia is dropping daily. The guy I'm buying the fish from has offered to give me his sponge filter media so when I get them i''l do a 100 WC then add the filter media.

I happened to come across a hobbyist who crossed a Dark Knight and a Blue Turq. The pictures are the actual fish he is selling they are roughly 5 1/2" kept in straight tap.

I still plan of adding these to my community tank at some point next year. I want to give them a few months to get used to the foods I'm going to feed them and I want to thin out out my show tank and let the plants mature first.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast