ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Discus arriving soon getting everything ready

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Discus arriving soon getting everything ready

yea, Scratches like that heal quickly. It shows more when they go dark like yours did. Keep us posted with pics as these guys look lovely!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Yea, glad it's cleared, looked like a scrape from being netted

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

that makes sense they were netted last week when i picked them up and again when i added them to the tank.

The tank has a black background and substrate and bad lighting so the pictures I've taken doesn't do them justice.

this picture shows their color a little better it was taken by the breeder and this one still doesn't really show their true colors. I'm eventually going to move them to my 90 gallon community tank. I'm sure once they settle in in my community tank the colors on these fish are really going to pop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Daniel

They're really pretty fish Filipe, and once settled will show you their true form!! Can't wait to see them in their final destination and looking mint!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    They're really pretty fish Filipe, and once settled will show you their true form!! Can't wait to see them in their final destination and looking mint!
    I agree 100%. Love blues.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Here are some updated pictures. I can't wait to see them in their full glory in their final home the last picture is the tank they will eventually call home
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I love your scape!! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your fish! Beautiful stock.

Real Name
    Daniel

Really good looking discus mate! Be great to see them in their final destination

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Thanks Guys I appreciate the kind words.

I was thinking with my current fish on my 90 gallon that at some point I need reduce the stock in this tank before the discus are eventually added.

Here is my current stock

20 Cardinal Tetras
    9 Angel's.
    4 Blue rams
    6 amano shrimp
    6 nerite snails
    1 bristlenose pleco (added a few days ago)

I was thinking of getting rehoming of most of the Angel's but I'd like to to keep 3 or 4 in here at most. I'm hoping that will be sufficient.

This also got me thinking that when the time comes to introduce my discus to this tank what method would be best. I don't imagine dumping them all in is a good approach. I thought about adding one at a time but I'm not sure if that would be too stressful for them. I've also thought about removing all of the fish in my planted tank then adding the discus, then reintroducing them back to the tank once the discus have settled in.

When I add fish to my community tanks I normally QT fish for a few weeks then if everything is good I'll add the fish or group of fish to the tank.

The discus I've purchased and kept in the past were also kept with other species and were purchased in groups of 2 or 3 at a time which worked out for me. They were in QT a little longer than most of the other fish I QT they were also treated for worms other than that it was the same procedure

I have never added a bio load this large at once to an existing tank.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    The conditioner should be added to the tank and not the barrel. It's ok if you don't let ot sit there, but if you're not going to use it right away don't put any in the barrel. Especially, if chloramine is used by the water supplier. You might be adding ammonia with the WC. If the suppler is using just chlorine then you should be just fine.
    Just to check my understanding, is this in order to ensure that nothing starts growing in the aging barrel once the chlorine is removed? Unfortunate Ah Hah moment for me as I intend to use an automatic water changing system, have a 90 gallon storage/aging tank and was planning on adding Safe to the system every morning when I refilled the storage tank with tap water. If adding Safe to the system then aging 12 hours or so causes crud to grow in the tank I have a problem.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    Just to check my understanding, is this in order to ensure that nothing starts growing in the aging barrel once the chlorine is removed? Unfortunate Ah Hah moment for me as I intend to use an automatic water changing system, have a 90 gallon storage/aging tank and was planning on adding Safe to the system every morning when I refilled the storage tank with tap water. If adding Safe to the system then aging 12 hours or so causes crud to grow in the tank I have a problem.
    It's to ensure the bond don't break before the filter/BB get a chance to break the amonnia in the chloramine down to nitrate. The bond will only last for about 24 hours after that it is free amonnia again. So, you'll have to had Safe or Prime again just before a WC, if you let it sit in the aging barrel. Just chlorine will air off in that time and really does not need conditioners for chlorine, if aging.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 01-01-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Got it, thanks much.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Hi everyone,

I will start adding my discus to my planted tank sometime during the next week or so. I decided to add just one for now in case something goes wrong.

Over the last 2 months I've been adjusting the parameters on this tank to make the environment as comfortable as possible to satisfy the needs of not only the discus but the other tank mates and the plants. The other fish and plants were selected because they are known to fair well in the same conditions that discus need.

With the help of everyone here on this forum I was able to correct a few mistakes or misconceptions that I had along the way. I realize that a planted community tank may not be the ideal setup for discus but to me a planted discus tank has been the ultimate goal since I first laid my eyes on a planted discus tank.

This is my 3rd attempt at merging my favorite fish with a planted tank. I am hoping this time around I will be successful.

I also realize that I have several threads going about the same fish and tank. Unless someone asks me a specific question on those threads I am going to stop updating those threads and will instead post a link to them on this thread if I need to refer back to them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

I added one discus to my community tank yesterday morning. The discus seems to be shaking or shivering a lot. Otherwise is behaving completely normal it's eating and is showing great color. Any idea why it's shaking. Everything that I've looked up about shaking refers to breeding behavior but that can't be the case as it's the only one in the tank.

Real Name
    Daniel

If it's a female maybe she's producing eggs or something?? The change of scenery has stimulated the urge to breed??

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast