AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Beefheart musings

Registered Member

Default Beefheart musings

So I should begin by saying I love feeding my Discus Beefheart mix. They attack it with vigour and I've seen great growth with this as their main staple. I took advice from this forum and also mix in two different flake foods from time to time but I'm mainly a Beffheart feeder. The "problem" is the internal worms and planaria.

I gravel vac twice a day with an battery powered Ehiem Gravel Vac which is great at picking up excess and poop. But the problem with beefheat is that some of the tiny particles are suspended in the water column and feed planaria despite maticulous cleaning nd water changes that turn over anywhere from 100% -150% of my aquarium water weekly.

The tank is in good condition and the growth of my discus is going well. But I'm wondering is there any substitution I could feed regularly and not compromise the thickness or rate of growth of my discus?

Thanks Guys

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Beefheart musings

I believe Al feeds FDBW as a main staple, as a lot of members here. I don’t feed beef heart mainly because it’s messy, and also because my discus have never gone for it. FDBW are more expensive but worth it for me, and they seem to bulk up and grow quickly on it

Real Name
    Mervin

If you can afford a high protein food, I'd go for one of those. I've used BH in the past, but found it too messy for what it's worth. Hatcheries use it cause it's cheap for larger volumes of discus, not necessarily because it's the best food for fish. Large daily WC's were needed when I used it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    If you can afford a high protein food, I'd go for one of those. I've used BH in the past, but found it too messy for what it's worth. Hatcheries use it cause it's cheap for larger volumes of discus, not necessarily because it's the best food for fish. Large daily WC's were needed when I used it.
    Thank you

Jeanne

Registered Member

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that Freeze Dreied Blood Worms were low on nutrition. Is there a particular brand that I should be on the look out for?

Also the same with High Protein Foods?

Thanks guys.

I use California blackworm grade a premium

freeze dried bloodworm

Jeanne

Real Name
    Frank

FD Blood Worms are, FD Black Worms are high in protein. I use Al's and supplement with Tropicals Wild Discus Granules. AM & PM Grans. Noon Worms.
    My fish are always at the top begging from noon to 12:30 because that's typically when Al's FDBW arrive. They also love the grans but not like the worms.

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that Freeze Dreied Blood Worms were low on nutrition. Is there a particular brand that I should be on the look out for?

Also the same with High Protein Foods?

Thanks guys.
    Sorry I should have mentioned, I am referring to freeze dried BLACK worms.

I would go with Al's for freeze dried blackworm

Jeanne

Registered Member

I've always dismissed "FDBW" because I thought the acronym was "FD *BLOOD* W" and know that they don't hold much nutritional value. I never thought to question it...

Now I know we're refering to BLACK worm I would like some further advice.

Firstly, can I get a link to Al's website. Try as I might google seems to be giving me every blood/blackworm link instead of Al's official site.
    Secondly, is there a UK equivalent and/or known supplier.

It's a new food source to me so I'd rather go with someone reputable, even if that means importing from the USA to the UK. I appreciate all of the advice given here guys, Truly, thanks form me and my wife!

Real Name
    Brendan

Al's website is aquaticsuppliers.com

If you have no luck there, you might be able to import them direct from the supplier at www.blackworms.com.au

Registered Member

This is where I get mine from (also in the UK)

http://taaquaculture.uk/Freeze_Dried.htm

Real Name
    Mervin

The blood worms, when dried hold a lot of nutritional value, just like dried black worms. When wet they are well over 90% water. Black worms have a bit more fat. I use freeze dried bloodworm because I can't find a better sourse of high quality protein any cheaper in my area.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Al's website is aquaticsuppliers.com

If you have no luck there, you might be able to import them direct from the supplier at www.blackworms.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by kev1310 View Post
    This is where I get mine from (also in the UK)

http://taaquaculture.uk/Freeze_Dried.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    The blood worms, when dried hold a lot of nutritional value, just like dried black worms. When wet they are well over 90% water. Black worms have a bit more fat. I use freeze dried bloodworm because I can't find a better sourse of high quality protein any cheaper in my area.
    I ordered from the UK link provided a few moments ago. I really appreciate the info, help and time given here. I'll update after the first feed. Thanks.