AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Questions: Cross Contamination

Registered Member

Default Re: General Questions: Cross Contamination

Hi, newbie here, I found this thread whilst doing research.

I'm a long term fish keeper but recently moved over to discus and got it horribly wrong.

I mixed locally bred Discus with Stendker Discus and 4 weeks later I only have 4 of the original 18 juveniles left with the expectation I'll lose them all.

It's been a horrible experience.

They shared a tank with a Golden Nugget Pleco and some Corydoras Sterbai - all of which are healthy and happy, despite the tragedy unfolding around them.

My plan is to move the pleco and cory's to my QT tank whilst I thoroughly clean, disinfect and effectively start again my main tank, including re-cycling the filter etc, etc. Once done and ready, I'll replace the discus but from single source, lesson learned who will be added to the fresh, clean tank.

My question is this - what do I do about re-introducing the Pleco and Corys, as whilst not effected by the cross contamination, they have swam and lived in the water that wiped all the discuss out and may carry the pathogens? Is it a case that they can never be re-introduced?

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve got a thread in the disease section. I had a cc last year. All the dither fish are still in the tanks. What are you using to treat the disease?? We’re all the discus affected by the cc? Or was it mainly the Stendker?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’ve got a thread in the disease section. I had a cc last year. All the dither fish are still in the tanks. What are you using to treat the disease?? We’re all the discus affected by the cc? Or was it mainly the Stendker?
    Yes, all impacted, only 4 left of the 18, lost 3 yesterday and I'm not expecting any of them to survive, but if they do, they'll be doing well. Displayed all the usual symptoms of cross contamination 'discus plague', clamped fins, sulking, not eating, loss of colour, listing, swimming at an angle etc.

In the UK we are heavily restricted in terms of medication availability, we can't get antibiotics online or over the counter for example so treatments like Metro are not available. I added copious quantities of salt and treated with Sera Bakopur to minimise the risk of secondary infection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12