ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm scared

Default I'm scared

I've done well with my Red Cherry shrimp They're almost coming out my ears. It looks like I've got the Blue Velvet's down, too. I have lots of little ones. I was ready for another challenge. I called my LPS and asked Ken to order me 12 Red Crystal shrimp. I could never done this if I had to pay the going rate for these. Ken and Twee let me have their stuff at their wholesale cost. And they know that if I succeed in breeding it they will buy the offspring at what they pay from the wholesaler. I think they and I have an unusually good relationship. It's almost like we're friends.

I know that I can meet their demands as far as temperature. They like it cooler than Discus water. I'm going to keep mine close to 78 which is about the top of what is recommended. I have lots of plants and wood in the 20 gallon they'll go in. What I worry about is my water parameters.

I know what I've read what people have written about water parameters that is all wrong. I don't know what I've been reading on the internet is totally correct. Does anyone here know, if the little buggers will do well in water that is 7.4 pH, 4.5 kH, and 0 gH? Will they do well enough to want to reproduce?

I know I'm on a Discus forum but I have never come upon a question here that someone can't answer so I'm asking here.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: I'm scared

Hi Liz,
    Don't know if this is worthwhile enough or not, but my 75 gal RCS/BN tank is doing great. I just did a water change yesterday. My pH is at 7.4, and my hardness from a digital meter is 150 ppm. I don't currently have GH and KH kits, but it's a well/RO mix. I checked and noticed my temp was just over 80, so I lowered it. I recently got several local customers from CL lined up. I offered 10/$1.
    Steve

What you just said is very reassuring to me, Ralph. You wouldn't believe what these internet shrimp experts told me what I would have to go through to be successful. I had a feeling that it might be a bunch of bull.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Liz I think Steve is talking about RCS, red cherry shrimp, not CRS, crystal red shrimp. His pricing being a strong indicator. Cherry shrimp & blue dreams etc are neocaridina and tolerate high pH's, but the caridina shrimp family have a narrower range with 7.4 at the absolute upper limit. I successfully kept and bred CRS & CBS in water that was 7.2 out of the tap but used shrimp sand which bring the pH down I towards 6. I only changed small amounts of water every 2-3 weeks, like 2 gallons in my 10gal set ups. Like discus caridina shrimp need stability and do not tolerate pH swings very well.
    If these are the ones you mean they really do prefer 5.5-6.8 ideally...
    6-SS-Grade-CRS-Crystal-Red-Shrimp-Live-Freshwater-Aquarium-Shrimp-by-SoShrimp-0.jpg
    Last edited by danotaylor; 11-19-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Hey Liz, sorry if I missed your point and my letter name caused confusion.

That's OK Steve. Danny set me straight. I'm going to cancel my order. Shame...It's a pretty tank with the wood and plants and the oak leaves. No sense in setting myself up to fail. There are other fish that will be fun to breed. Rainbow's may be.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Sorry Liz. The ones I had were when I lived in Australia. I really wanna get some more here but my tap water is 7.6 and I really don't wanna hassle with pH down adjustments either.
    Australian Rainbow's...you get em girl!! Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi
    Last edited by danotaylor; 11-19-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Real Name
    Daniel

These guys are my favourite, Boeseman's Rainbows, so pretty and they get a decent size as well...
    Attachment 125705

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    These guys are my favourite, Boeseman's Rainbows, so pretty and they get a decent size as well...
    Attachment 125705
    Photo is not working

Liz you could try alder cones and peat filtering since it's only a 20 gal I have a 33gal long that I am using cones and peat in and have knocked the ph down quite a bit and I can do a 25% water change a week without a problem

Jeanne

Thanks, but no. It's more hassle than I'm willing to deal with and the shrimp are too valuable to experiment on.

My favorites are the Neon Blues and the Millennium Reds.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Ooppps, I'll try again...it was off the web so maybe copywrited, if that's even a word, lol
    boesemani-rainbow.jpg

I like the Bosamanie's too when they're good quality ones like the one in the pic.
    Mama Bear

Well. so much for making that tank into a Rainbow fish breeding tank. I put the cave with the albino BN in that tank last night before bedtime. When I went down to feed this morning the glass was covered with the little white snots. I have empty 29's that I can use if I decide to give the Rainbows a try.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

"Little white snots", haha, lil boogers, lol. BN invasion Mama Bear!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast