AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My new Heckel group

Real Name
    Donny

Talking My new Heckel group

Hi everyone,

My first post here. Here are some pics my group of 5 currently in a 50 gallon tall tank for observation/quarantine. They will move to a 240 in a couple of months with a group of altums.

I’ve had them for almost 2 week and they are fearless. Chomping on live black worms, Hikari bloodworms, brine shrimp, FDBW, spirulina brine shrimp and Tetra color bits. When not eating, they are busy chasing each other around.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: My new Heckel group

Welcome to the family! Always happy to see new members! Heckels have been on my favorite list for a long time! It’s just a matter of time before I bite the bullet. I’m intrigued now to see your 240 and the altums as those are on my list as well.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Donny, nice Heckels and guessing they are young Where did you get them? I have a group of Heckels also.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I would also like to know where you got your heckels those are good looking fish, and I consider them to be the ultimate challenge in fish breeding.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Donny

Thanks everyone!

The group (4.5-5") was purchased from a LFS in Alhambra, CA. The owner has had them for over 3 months and acclimated them to 100% tap water and feeding aggressively on Tetra ColorBits. Tap water is pH 7.4 and TDS 230 ppm.

When I got them home, I started acclimating them to softer, acidic water. They are now at pH 5.5 and TDS 45 by aging 90% RO/10% tap in a large Rubbermaid with a powerhead, heater, airstone and adding muriatic acid until the pH stabilizes at 5.5 according to my pinpoint pH meter. 20% water changes are done daily.

At the LFS they were basically hovering in the tank in a large group and only active when fed. They were also a bit darker.

They are now active and always sifting the sand looking for food. Each one of the 5 have staked their own part of the tank and chases the others away once it enters into their "territory". Feeding time is a war zone. LOL

Real Name
    Donny

Full tank shot. Overcrowded but temporary.

771D60F8-8F22-4F63-A3AF-41B0A03EFE10.jpeg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

They look beautiful, Donny!! I don't know why I'm such a sucker for displays with moss!. Put some moss on that wood

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Really nice discus and angels

Real Name
    Donny

Thanks for the kind comments.

Mando - That's a great idea! I'll tie the moss onto the branches when I move them to the big tank. I had to remove it for now so it's an open tank. My daughter ran in front of the tank when they were feeding and spooked them. They were crashing around for about 5 seconds and I thought one of them was going to impale themselves on the branch.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by DonH530 View Post
    Thanks for the kind comments.

Mando - That's a great idea! I'll tie the moss onto the branches when I move them to the big tank. I had to remove it for now so it's an open tank. My daughter ran in front of the tank when they were feeding and spooked them. They were crashing around for about 5 seconds and I thought one of them was going to impale themselves on the branch.
    Yes. It gets a bit scary when they dart frantically.