ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Adding crushed multivitamin tab directly to aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Saif

Default Adding crushed multivitamin tab directly to aquarium

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of adding crushed (finely powdered) multivitamin tab directly to aqaurium water. The commercial ones made for fishes are way more expensive than multi vitamin tab from a local pharmacy.
    Would it be beneficial or would it just be a waste?

PS - I am thinking of doing this, as I have miserably failed in making BH mixes (tried several attempts and spent over 100+ euros and wasted around 10lbs of food).

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Adding crushed multivitamin tab directly to aquarium

Hi Saif, I have read of people adding vitamins to a DIY mix but never directly to the water column. Do you feel the commercial foods available to you are lacking?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Saif

Probably not as they don't mention it. They write other components. Usually frozen foods if they have vitamins are mentioned.

Real Name
    Brendan

Well vitamins are only useful if your diet is lacking- that’s for humans of course. Surely if you’re feeding your fish a variety of quality foods it shouldn’t be necessary?

The only other thing that comes to mind is what other chemicals or binding agents etc are used to make the vitamins, that could show up and cause a problem?
    Not saying this is fact just food for thought. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in and confirm or deny my reasoning.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Saif

If it can be put in BH mix then we could be assured that the binding or other agents used to make the vitamin tablets should be fine. This would be my guess on it.

Real Name
    Willie

The bacteria would really appreciate it, but it won't mean anything to the fish.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Saif View Post
    If it can be put in BH mix then we could be assured that the binding or other agents used to make the vitamin tablets should be fine. This would be my guess on it.
    Using the words "assured" and "guess" in the same context doesn't give a sense of confidence. Brendan's food for thought was in response to your question, and is worth considering. Water quality affects so much to do with discus healthy. Just because something can be safely ingested and digested doesn't mean it won't adversely affect water quality. Tablets that can be swallowed by humans shouldn't be crushed up and injected because the route of administration is wrong. The same thing stands to reason here.
    Bottom line is if you want someone to affirm what you have already decided to do and don't get the affirmation, why ask in the 1st place? Just do it and tell us all what happens so it takes the guess work out of it. If all your fish are fine and suffer no I'll effect or if they all suffer and die then we'll all know for sure.

Registered Member

I been adding Centrium Vitamins since 1990.
    The formula was given to me from my Doctor fish friend in Hawaii. The vitamin is
    not crush but diluted with a little water then
    added to the Beefheart. Since then I have
    no side effect and still able to produce thousands yearly. Vitamins at LFS could
    be on the selves for years as compared to
    human Vitamins have a expiration date.

Cliff

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Using the words "assured" and "guess" in the same context doesn't give a sense of confidence. Brendan's food for thought was in response to your question, and is worth considering. Water quality affects so much to do with discus healthy. Just because something can be safely ingested and digested doesn't mean it won't adversely affect water quality. Tablets that can be swallowed by humans shouldn't be crushed up and injected because the route of administration is wrong. The same thing stands to reason here.
    Bottom line is if you want someone to affirm what you have already decided to do and don't get the affirmation, why ask in the 1st place? Just do it and tell us all what happens so it takes the guess work out of it. If all your fish are fine and suffer no I'll effect or if they all suffer and die then we'll all know for sure.
    I believe fenbendazole is a great example Dan. Can only be used in food for the fish and not added directly to the water column.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Saif

There are multivitamin solution that are added directly to water e.g atvitol from JBL. Just that it is much more expensive than the multivitamin tab. Even the water conditioner I use, says with vit B complex and aloe extract.

This idea came to my mind and I didn't want to take the risk that's why I asked before. If I don't ask how do I know someone has done it before.
    Looks like no has tried it before.