AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tap water infested with a parasite!!!! Help :bomb:

Registered Member

Default Tap water infested with a parasite!!!! Help :bomb:

Hello everyone,

I recently found out that the tap water is infested with Cryptosporidium (protozoan parasite) and i started to panic because i see no information regarding the effects on discus. I am doing 2 w/c a week and i cannot stop doing them because cyano will attack the tank. I am using a 3 stage HMA filter (1 micron sediment, 1 micron carbon filter and 5 micron high chlorine remover filter).

Is this parasite dangerous to my fish ? ( i have only discus in my tank)
    Should i treat the whole tank with something agains protozoan parasites just in case?

Please advise me before i start throwing money on medicine. Thank you

P.S. The fishes are eating normally but recently 2 out of 12 started to separate from the group and eat what remains after some time.

Default Re: Tap water infested with a parasite!!!! Help :bomb:

No Cryptosporidium is only a parasite of warm blooded animals. It will attack the very young, the very old, and those with immune system problems. There is a parasite of fish called Cryptobia but it is not the same thing as what is in your tap.

The only thing to watch for as far as fish is if your water company was using chlorine in the past it will have to start using chloromine to kill the parasite. So if in the past you just gas off the chlorine or use Thosodium sulfate you'll have to start using Prime of something equivalent.
    Mama Bear

Do you drink that water

Jeanne

Registered Member

Thank you so much for the quick replies.

@LizStreithorst

So i will continue doing waterchanges but will add Prime just to be sure. After i saw the 2 fishes separating from the group i assumed they had an internal problem and i orded eSha hexamina for discus. I will do a treatment when the medicine arrives just to be sure.

@Sturiosoma

I haven't drank water from tap in a very long time but i use it to shower and wash the dishes. I hope its not a problem.

Washing dishes and bathing is no problem. If you are going to treat for hex it is best to use pure metronidazole. Most of us buy it from Jehmco. Ignore the dosage on the container. Treat at 500 mg per gallon for 10 days and raise the temp to as close to 90 as your heaters will get it. But don't treat unless you see obvious symptoms.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Noted. The only problem with hex is that the signs are not so obvious. The only clues i have are some of the fish poop i see is a little white, they dont eat like they used to and a general decrease in activity but only for the 2 fishes that are a bit out of the group. I have never seen in person a fish with hexamita so its difficult to tell. I will wait untill i see more obvious signs and be ready with metro if needed.

Why not post a pic of your tank and fish here so we can better advise you?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Here are some photos. I am talking about the 2 on the bottom left.

IMG_20191122_225713.jpg

IMG_20191122_225836.jpg

IMG_20191122_225819.jpg

Registered Member

And here is the 3rd one that is staying away from the group. I see no visible deformation or any signs of disease but he stays like that most of the time and he eats after everyone has finished. I dont know why or what is causing this...

IMG_20191122_234553.jpg

IMG_20191122_234616.jpg

One of those SS's does look shrunken in the stomach, but overall your fish look good.

I hate to treat without more obvious symptoms but Metro is so gentle on the fish that you can OD it like crazy and the fish won't be fazed. So...If you're worried go ahead and treat. Treat the entire bunch. If a couple are showing symptoms they're all infested. I don't guess you can treat in a BB tank, can you?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Not possible in a BB tank as i do not have one (just a 45litre plastic container but it would be too small for a 10 day treatment). I will do the Metro treatment in the main tank just to be safe.
    How do you buy Metro normally? powder form or pills? Is it available in pharmacy? Does it affect the filter bacteria?

I live in europe and amazon search doesnt show anything...
    Last edited by dominicOv; 11-23-2019 at 11:33 AM.

I honestly don't know what is available in Europe. I know that in the UK it is only available by prescription. I use powder but if all you can find is pills, just grind them up. The important thing is that the dosage of pure Metro is 500 mg per 10 gallons for 10 days.
    Mama Bear