ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: SWEET and SOUR, but what now?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Default SWEET and SOUR, but what now?

Hello All,
    SWEET.....see pic
    SOUR......after adding an additional RO filter, I forgot to turn off RO filter, allowing many hours of (@ 150gallon/day) to “clean” my outdoor closet floor, my saint of a wife is not overly happy with me.....until she saw the babies all over their parents, maybe 40-50 (kind of like counting starlings in a flock). Fortunately (or unfortunately) who ever built our house did a poor job of leveling the floor so no water went to the living room floor. Learning lesson and a dodge bullet!!
    Now, I have never gotten to this point (I used to have discus in late 80’s and just returned to them about 6 months ago, they would lay eggs but never hatched let alone fed off their parents slime coat). I bought brine SF ride shrimp eggs, at what point do I start hatching them to feed the the babies, I plan on making food for them from triple ground beef heart, bay shrimp, human vitamins, (should anything else be added?) freeze the concoction to about a 1/4” and feed it to the fry (not sure at what point...suggestions). What, if any, meds and what time frame (you know like immunizing you’re kids). The whole house is exited I realize there is but a low percentage chance of them making it in a community tank, but I gave them a fighting chance by setting up a tank separator in the tank, but with all plants, wood, and rocks it’s like fencing in snakes). I hand feed them because the male pigs out and leaves little for the female, in my mind she appreciates the assistance (she was the better parent but the male has taken the majority of the fry on his body). I think discus are like humans in that it takes a village to raise them!
    Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks in Advance
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images