AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to stock discus without causing a mini cycle or aggression

Registered Member

Default Re: How to stock discus without causing a mini cycle or aggression

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    Sounds like a good plan in general. I don't have a pH swing so I will often do something similar, insofar as I will have either enough aged water for about a 50-70% water change on my growout tank, or I mix in some prefiltered tap if I do more. I don't know if you read about or tested yet for pH swing, but if you do a quick search you might see that is often a variable that will determine how much water you will need or want to age.
    My pH swing is roughly 8.5 to 7.5, so I figured it's necessary to use aged water for anything above like 20%

Registered Member

Default Re: How to stock discus without causing a mini cycle or aggression

I just wanted to give an update. I ended up cycling my tank by dosing 4 ppm ammonia every day, and doing WCs so that nitrites never really got above 4ppm. I didn't stop when my tank was officially cycled. I continued a few more days until on the last day it went from 4 ppm ammonia to 0 ammonia 0 nitrites in less than 19 hours. I added 20 tetras, 2 corys, and a zebra pleco one day and then 5 ~3" discus the next day. (I added 4 more corys a few days later). Now it's almost 3 weeks later and they are just finally starting to really get comfortable and most of them are actually eating in front of me as soon as I put food into the tank. So until now I may have been feeding less than I will normally because they weren't so interested in eating, but on the other hand the food has been sitting around longer than it normally wood. I've been doing 30% water changes 2-3 times a week, and also vacuuming the bottom (which ends up being about 8% WC) occasionally in between WCs. I've been monitoring water parameters. No ammonia or nitrites, and nitrates under control.
    So as I thought from the beginning, I would think this would be a good way to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12