AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How long to keep lights off for new arrivals?

Registered Member

Default How long to keep lights off for new arrivals?

Just wondering what everyone general does when getting new fish shipped to them. The suppliers I usually go through recommends 2 to 3 days with no lights or food just curious on what everyone does. Ill be honest I usually do around a day thanks.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: How long to keep lights off for new arrivals?

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    Just wondering what everyone general does when getting new fish shipped to them. The suppliers I usually go through recommends 2 to 3 days with no lights or food just curious on what everyone does. Ill be honest I usually do around a day thanks.
    I keep the lights off at least overnight and turn the overhead light in the room on the next morning. If the fish come to the front of the tank I will turn the tank light on low (dim-able LEDs) and leave them for a while. If they still come to the front of the tank with the light on when I return I will feed lightly.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I keep the lights off at least overnight and turn the overhead light in the room on the next morning. If the fish come to the front of the tank I will turn the tank light on low (dim-able LEDs) and leave them for a while. If they still come to the front of the tank with the light on when I return I will feed lightly.
    Pat
    Thank you I just received my new group on Tuesday I always have been told by the suppliers 2 to 3 days but i just get excited and want to see them i think ill turn the lights on today its going on two days today but thanks and happy thanksgiving!

Real Name
    Jake

I've always done similar to what Pat does except I do a strict 24-hours of no lights (apart from the natural light from windows, etc). After that, if they come to the front of the tank they get full light according to the lighting schedule I follow. My group from Kenny didn't seem to mind the light at all.