AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Red Valentine & PB Checkerboard - Good Cross?

Registered Member

Default Red Valentine & PB Checkerboard - Good Cross?

Hi, All. My first post on SimplyDiscus.

I have a beautiful Red Valentine female (red eyes) and very fertile PB Checkerboard male. They show some interest in each other. I wonder what fry to expect from this cross. I have read all threads about Red Valentine and PB cross on this forum and a bit confused. Some say you can cross it to brown/turquoise based fish with stripes, some suggest it is also OK to cross them to fish with the PB gene as Red Valentines probably somewhere in them have the PB gene and have no stripes.

Would someone advise me if I should give it a go with this cross? What should i expect from fry? Are they likely to be super peppered and I should stop my attempts to breed these two?

Thanks in advance,
    Andriy
    IMG_2657.jpgIMG_2669.jpgIMG_2670.jpg
    Last edited by pifulya; 11-28-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Default Re: Red Valentine & PB Checkerboard - Good Cross?

No reason not to pair those two fish.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. So you think Red Valentines are PB based? What color pattern do you thing the fry will have?

Real Name
    Steve

Just a little guessing here. What I've been told (mostly from Kenny) is most reds are pigeon based, so you'd be OK there. Also, white is very dominant, so I bet you'd get a wide variety of "White Butterfly" types, with varying amounts and types of patterning, may some with lots.

Registered Member

Thanks Steve for your reply! Having read on this forum about success stories of breeding Red Valentines to Brown/Turquoise strains with stripes does it mean that Red Valentines could equally successfully be bred with PB and Non-PB based fish? Is it one of those strains?

Real Name
    Steve

Sorry, I don't know the specifics of the RV strain. And although I said most reds are PB, the exceptions I think are the brown based red cover types. So I'm not going to claim to know any more. Maybe someone else will chime in, or contact whoever you bought from to see what they know about it.

Registered Member

Thanks Steve for your reply. They don't know themselves and i could not find anything on the internet about the genetics of RV, so decided to ask on SimplyDiscus, as some cross breeding discussions here are very insightful. I just could not find in its threads a definite answer about my cross.

If successful with this pair, I will post the results here for those who are interested.

Thanks to you both for taking your time to reply.

You can tell that your RV is PB based by the black in it's dorsal and ventral. A brown based red will show no black whatsoever.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. What about Red Cover/Red Rose? It also has some black, does it mean that it is also PB based?

Well, I guess it is confusing, isn't it. Those are brown based. Another way to tell if it's PB based is that PB's are an orange red while Brown based are, well, brown based.
    Mama Bear

I would contact the breeder of these fish as they can label them with whatever name they want especially the imports and if you have a known fertile male and they spawn you could have your own strain of discus

Jeanne

Registered Member

Thanks guys for replying. The RV one is direct import from Malaysia/Singapore ( I am from New Zealand by the way), an importer does not know their genealogy. But you have clarified a lot for me - thank you! I will attempt to breed them and if successful will be updating this thread with more info. Thank you!

Registered Member

Ok, after a few attempts I got some fry from these two. Will be observing the resulted genetics. However, fry from this female RV and her sibling male, I received 4 categories:

1/ RV like the parents
    2/ Snow whites
    3/ Pigeons (hard to tell what color they are only 2 months old)
    4/ A few browns (hard to tell what color they are only 2 months old)

This seems to define the genetics of the RV's I have.IMG_3299.jpg