AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Suggestions for nitrate reduction 420G display

Registered Member

Default Suggestions for nitrate reduction 420G display

Hi I have a 400g display and inside a fish room. I have a 2 different 100gallon water tanks inside. I was thinking of using one of them for nitrate reduction but im not sure what to use these days. I'm a old timer in the saltwater area and switching to discus from reef. I was wondering if I should use some type of bio balls or something inside the 100gallon water container and pump the aquarium water through it and then back into the tank. What would some people suggest? I would like to put like 40 discus in the tank and have 0 nitrate. Someone please help.

Registered Member

Default Re: Suggestions for nitrate reduction 420G display

Also I have a large sump underneath I'm not using a 75gallon portion of it. Is there some type of chaeto equivalent for freshwater? Some type of plant or algae that sucks up nutrients a ton? I have the whole tank planted right now but i'm thinking I am going to take them out and just have the focus be on the fish instead. But am willing to run some specifically for nitrate reduction.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Howdy Kruss. Sounds like a beautiful large display is forth coming, cool. Algae scrubbers do a good job of nitrate reduction, but nitrates are not the only metabolite/paramter to be concerned about when keeping discus. Bacterial counts and other dissolved organics all contribute to the insult upon discus immunity and health. The best way to deal with the full scope of water quality particulars when keeping discus is large frequent water changes with aged water.
    With your salt water knowledge and set up it sounds like you could rig up a water aging & heating system with your 2x100gal water containers and set up an auto change system that would ease the work load on you.
    Others will chime in in sure. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Registered Member

Yes I have a setup already that I was going to be using. Just looking for an aid to it. I am thinking about filling the bottom 75 with CerMedia MarinePure 1.5-Inch Sphere Bio-Filter Media and just using the auto water change. Putting a heater in the spare water wanks and see what happens with 10 or so, go from there. Thanks for the reply. Looking into scrubbers. Which would you recommend?
    Last edited by Kruss; 11-30-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    So basically hes using water sprite? Later on he talks about how the lower parts of it start dying and then he removes it all? Is there a go to media I can put in sump instead?