AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Broke My Sump - Sump Recommendations?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Broke My Sump - Sump Recommendations?

Hey guys, I was working on getting my 230 back up and running and broke my sump trying to clean it. Cracked it where the bulkhead opening goes to the pump.

So due to the constraints of the stand I am limited to a footprint of 34x12x18 and I need two inlets. Best option ATM seems to be a 29 gallon tank with filter kit to divide up the sump into sections.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Default Re: Broke My Sump - Sump Recommendations?

I have used a 29 standard size tank with egg crates as dividers.

Cliff

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

amazon had a nice DIY sump kit for a 29g that worked really well for me. I think I paid $25? not 100% sure now. But, you can always do it all on your own with egg crates or just foam pads. Is your current sump not repairable? can you remove the glass and replace it?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

I REALLY like my IceCap 30 and I think the footprint is 30x16x16 (so most likely won’t do) or Aqueon Proflex 2 footprint 30.9x11x19 (can be found frequently on eBay), and comes REALLY close to your dimensions. Lifetime warranty doesn’t hurt any (as long as you have the receipt). To bad you live on the other side of the country as I have 4 sumps gathering dust. And I think one of them might fit the bill. Also acrylic is SUPER easy to patch if in the right place. I’m NOT a professional but this is how I have patched cracks. Definitely do a search on YouTube in case I missed a step or it doesn’t make sense. You drill VERY SMALL hole at the very end of the crack then then use Weld-On 3 https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...n_3_cement/131 and allow it to fill the crack via capillary action to fill the crack. I thin take an acrylic scrap to patch both side of the crack (like a band-aid) using a thicker glue like Weld-On 16 https://www.tapplastics.com/product/..._16_cement/132 . I used TAPS sites only because it’s easy to find on the web you can get these glues at numerous other places that deal with plastics. Also, use the glue in a well ventilated area, this stuff really smells. And finally I ALWAYS test it filled with water after 24 hours to see how your handy work faired. It’s a LOT cheaper than a new sump, and if you screwed up your really not so worse for wear as the glues are not super expensive. Again, check YouTube for “how to” repair acrylic just to confirm what I described (“a picture is worth a thousand words”, a video has got to be worth more).
    Good Luck