ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: sick male pigeon blood

Registered Member

Default sick male pigeon blood

Old pair female is fine male is deteriorating. ive tried 90 degrees for a week, wormer plus, Epsom salt, still nothing helps even tried daily water changes with aerated water overnight. no ammonia present. doesn't seem to have appetite either.20191201_185706_resized.jpg20191201_185721_resized.jpg20191201_185731_resized.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: sick male pigeon blood

He's a gnarly ole beast alright. The no appetite could be hex, but the fin damage is possibly bacterial if there's been no ammonia spike, so he could be off his food because of the irritation. Until someone else chimes in with more experience I would dose salt at 3-4tbsp/10gal, and if he has any stringy white poop dose pure metro at 500mg/10gal twice daily for 100days

Real Name
    Brian

That fish has some serious deterioration in the fins. The tail may never recover because the rot is well into the hard rays. It's hard to tell if this is due to age, nutrition or water quality. If it's very old, its health could just be failing.

I would actually remove the worst part of the tail and swab all fins with hydrogen peroxide. Epsom salt will be of no benefit, but regular salt can assist in this situation. I would add 7-8 TBS salt per 10g. Keep up regular water changes and replace the salt removed during the water change.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    He's a gnarly ole beast alright. The no appetite could be hex, but the fin damage is possibly bacterial if there's been no ammonia spike, so he could be off his food because of the irritation. Until someone else chimes in with more experience I would dose salt at 3-4tbsp/10gal, and if he has any stringy white poop dose pure metro at 500mg/10gal twice daily for 10days
    Don't be afraid of the 7-8 TBS of salt, these fish can tolerate it.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Oops, didn't notice I put 100 days lol.
    Yes I have dosed 1tbsp/1gal but have noticed our resident veterans usually start lower unless the issue is glaringly obvious...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Oops, didn't notice I put 100 days lol.
    Yes I have dosed 1tbsp/1gal but have noticed our resident veterans usually start lower unless the issue is glaringly obvious...
    that discus would have been high as a kite. lol