AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Default Please help!

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    I got my fish about a month and half ago. I noticed stringy white poo out of one of them (wasn't hanging at this point) about a week after it comes and goes, asked the breeder/store and they said to keep giving clean water and everything was fine, I did and it would go away but would see it once a week now since i got them. I have seen it coming out of one of the red melons now hanging from time to time, about 2 1/2 weeks ago the smallest blue snakeskin in the tank stopped eating for 5 days (never saw white poop from this fish) which made me think it was starting to spread. i treated the tank with general cure for a week and half, the lil snakeskin has improved and started eating day two but it seems the melon has gotten worse, Loosing color, not eating, white poop hanging again after the treatment was done. After treating i took the driftwood i had in the tank out( as maybe it was causing issues, idk) after doing that one of the red turq's showed stress bars i thought he would just get used to it??.. the next day he sort of freaked out in the tank darting hitting the glass all over jumping and hitting the top, then swimming on his side for a bit. Now he hides alot and is darting around the tank from time to time, still eating at most feeding. the Red melon hasnt eaten in a few days now.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Red melon has white poop and loosing coloring looking splotchy. Red turq darting flashing not eating turning dart a little

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    treated general cure every other day for 10 days with 90% w/c every other day as well. this helped the blue snakeskin that was really dark and hiding in the corners not eat. has color not hiding and is eating now

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    85 gal 8 discus 3 to 4 1/2 inch in size

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    I was doing 50% daily before doing the GC treatment

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    tanks been running 4 months its BB

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    yes, 24-48 hours swings from 7.4 to 8.2

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Seachem Prime, I add it the aging barrel little before going in the tank, capful for 44 gal

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____85-86

- ph _____8.2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____city water

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. nothing new except i took the two large piece of manzanita out of the tank

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

5 x daily
    colbalt flakes FDBW beefheart frozen brine shrimp

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    I will add photos in the morning as well.

appreciate any help here, I am new to discus and want to learn how to help and keep my fish healthy as possible. Tia!
    Last edited by JJandJessDiscus; 12-02-2019 at 02:41 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Please help!

General cure is a very weak treatment drug. I would buy pure metronidazole from JehmCo.com and re-treat with 500mg/10gal twice a day for 10 days, with a 50% water change 1 time daily before dosing.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    General cure is a very weak treatment drug. I would buy pure metronidazole from JehmCo.com and re-treat with 500mg/10gal twice a day for 10 days, with a 50% water change 1 time daily before dosing.
    This is good advise. However, I would also crank the temp up to 93 for 10-14 days. Many glass heaters won't go this high, but most titaniums will.

My protocol is somewhat different from Danny's. I treat with 500 mg per 10 once daily for 10 days with high heat as Brian suggests. Treat all fish in the tank because if a couple are showing symptoms they are all infected.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Thank you all for your responses. Thats also what i gathered from reading on here. Going to order some metro today, how long should wait to treat the tank again since I recently finished the GC treatment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Will metro plus work until i can get the pure powder from online? I ask because the red turq thats darting seems to be doing it more frequent now. Im nervous to do water change thinkin he may jump out if spooked.

Also cant seem to get photos to upload.

Real Name
    Brian

The use of metro isn't usually an emergency situation so I would order pure metro online. If it's affordable for you, order enough to have on hand for future issues. In the mean time, raising the heat should help. I would also add about 3-5 TBS salt per 10g.

You seem to be doing everything correctly in that your tank is bb, you age your water, etc... One thing I would personally change is when you add Prime. I've found that dechlorinating the holding tank can allow for organic buildup on the barrel walls, which could pump junk into the tank. I add the tap water to the aging barrel and let the water help keep the barrel clean, and add Prime directly to the tank while filling. Many people use enough Prime to treat the entire tank (as does the Seachem suggest), but I only use enough to treat the water I'm replacing and I've never had a chlorine or chloramines related issue.

As far as uploading photo's, I suspect your files are too large. You can resize them or simply email them to yourself, save then upload. Email programs automatically resize for you...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    The use of metro isn't usually an emergency situation so I would order pure metro online. If it's affordable for you, order enough to have on hand for future issues. In the mean time, raising the heat should help. I would also add about 3-5 TBS salt per 10g.

You seem to be doing everything correctly in that your tank is bb, you age your water, etc... One thing I would personally change is when you add Prime. I've found that dechlorinating the holding tank can allow for organic buildup on the barrel walls, which could pump junk into the tank. I add the tap water to the aging barrel and let the water help keep the barrel clean, and add Prime directly to the tank while filling. Many people use enough Prime to treat the entire tank (as does the Seachem suggest), but I only use enough to treat the water I'm replacing and I've never had a chlorine or chloramines related issue.

As far as uploading photo's, I suspect your files are too large. You can resize them or simply email them to yourself, save then upload. Email programs automatically resize for you...
    OK, thanks ill start doing that, i did notice a slime on the heater in there and i wipe it out every other day and clean it. much easier was just worried to add to the tank. Reason i wanna do something immediately to help is the one thats started darting 2 days ago is the favorite lol. He just did it again so painful to watch, this time looks like he scraped himself prolly when hitting the tank lid unfortunately
    Really appreciate the advice as i wanna learn and do this the right way for the fish.

Real Name
    Brian

Well, the main reason I brought up the aging part is because of the darting. Discus with hex and the main symptoms you describe don't usually dart around that much. Many times darting is a sign of external irritation and stress, and poor water quality creates stress, which can allow hex to take over, so you can kind of see the circle of where this is going... You seem to have an issue that is progressing, and since hex isn't really contagious there may be something in the water influencing these events.

Again, my first step would be heat and salt...

Real Name
    Brian

Also, have a look at this thread. Once things appear to be back on track, this is a good procedure to treat all new discus even when not mixing stock. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Well, the main reason I brought up the aging part is because of the darting. Discus with hex and the main symptoms you describe don't usually dart around that much. Many times darting is a sign of external irritation and stress, and poor water quality creates stress, which can allow hex to take over, so you can kind of see the circle of where this is going... You seem to have an issue that is progressing, and since hex isn't really contagious there may be something in the water influencing these events.

Again, my first step would be heat and salt...
    Did you forget your prime somewhere along the line

because if you have chlorimines in your water that can drive fish nuts

Jeanne

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

The darting started i day i took out the drift wood i had in there out, i thought the same for external. Water quality hasnt changed at all though endless theres something in the tap i havnt checked for. I started to raise the temp today and added salt the last 2.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    Did you forget your prime somewhere along the line

because if you have chlorimines in your water that can drive fish nuts

Jeanne

Never forgot the prime, only thing with the water that has changed, is that it has rained a bit the last week, i heard the water companies here will add more chlorimine or chlorine to the tap after a rain. Not sure if this is true or not. But this is the only fish that is effected for some reason, none of the other fish are darting or flashing like the red turq.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

So after treating for ten days with metro all fish are eating and back to healthy. I just have a few question if anyone can give insight to a few things that happened. Initial i started treating due to loss of appetite, and white poo, with one of them starting to dart erratically. The treatment of metro i saw all symptoms get better except the erratic darting, It litterally went from one fish to another every couple days effecting only 1 fish at a time, I ended up loosing one of my blue snakeskins when he started darting (pretty sure he hit the glass to hard) this was the 3rd fish to get effected by the darting symptoms and died the second day.
    After feeling somewhat defeated i began to read more on the forum and i found a posted stating Cobalt flake may have been one of the issues for causing the darting.( I read this day 9 of metro treatment) I only feed the cobalt flake in the morning to them, But i said it is worth a try to see, So i stopped feeding the flake.......And i have not had one fish act like that since.
    At a loss for words, could it really have been the flake?

Real Name
    Brian

I've never used Cobalt Flakes but I have heard this story before. Unfortunately, there's probably no way to prove it other than to determine your success after discontinuing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast