AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hardy discus from Vietnam

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Hardy discus from Vietnam

Quite new to discus, although I've kept South American cichlids especially dwarf cichlids for decades.

Had some mixed success starting more than 1 yr ago with a few small inexpensive Asian imported discus specimens, Malaysia and Singapore, I'm told. A few succumbed by just not eating and wasting away (this could put many ppl off keeping discus ever, and for many yrs kept me from even considering to try to...) But most did ok although not growing fast and may be a bit stunted already. They are still nice looking fish and eating well once they settled, though this took quite some time and a bit of heartache in between. Two stunning royal blues really made it worthwhile.

Recently acquired 3 medium sized discus from a Vietnam import - a yellow Marlboro, a snow white, and a golden snakeskin. These fish settled in within hours and eat very well. They are stunning specimens and growing fast, mostly on dried pellets and frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp.

It's been months now and they are an absolute pleasure to keep, so easy. I am slighly lazy fish keeper so cant believe my luck with these stunners. My water is medium soft, ph 7 or a bit higher.

Anyone else on here who had the same amazingly pleasant experience with Vietnamese discus?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Hardy discus from Vietnam

Pictures??

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Will take some pics over the weekend

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Pictures??
    Managed to take some quick pics of the 3, will retry with the snow white later
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Local fish store near me gets his discus from Vietnam & they are very nice.

I have had fish from several Asia nations, including Vietnam and have not found any to be less hardy than the other.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I have had fish from several Asia nations, including Vietnam and have not found any to be less hardy than the other.
    Thanks for the info. I am in South Africa and if some of you on here who are in the US think you tend to see "left over" discus at your LFS, we in SA tend to see the "left overed left overs". So this is why I'm impressed with this source.. I'll return to this shop!

Real Name
    Willie

Truth be told, I've spoken to Malaysian importers who said that they're sourcing out of Vietnam due to cost. Your local fish store may well be doing the same thing. Ultimately, it has nothing to do with the country of origin. There are good and bad discus from every country. That said, the Malaysian fish have the best shape - IMO.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I would not trust any importer other than reputable importers of wilds, Malaysia, asia,Vietnam and who ever else are doing so much to discus hormones and who knows what else, their may objective is to grow them up as fast and cheap as they can and get rid of them and the importers make the big buck

Jeanne

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Jeanne you are entitled to trust & buy from whomever you chose, it's a free country, but most of our awesome sponsors bring in fish from Asia, and there are many happy & returning customers here in the SD community.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Jeanne you are entitled to trust & buy from whomever you chose, it's a free country, but most of our awesome sponsors bring in fish from Asia, and there are many happy & returning customers here in the SD community.
    Thanks for the comments guys, I'm very happy with the looks and health of the Vietnam sourced fish. Here is another pic today of the Snow White, it is completely albino white
    Attached Images Attached Images