ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp tanks

Default Shrimp tanks

Along with discus Ive kinda fallen in love with shrimp. Have set-up 4 shrimp tanks ( well 5, but one didn't last long and sprang a leak) in the last 6 months.

This is my Fluvel Spec V- It has Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp and Yellow- back neocaridina. Ill include a picture of tank and a video so can see the shrimp better. This tank is a little wild right now with the moss, but it really helps the shrimp feel settled.

https://vimeo.com/377196438

This is the 5.4 Gallon Shrimp tank. Its still cycling. I cycle the tanks for 2 months before I add shrimp. It has about another month to go.

9 Gallon Fluvel Flex- This tank has Bloody Mary shrimp and my very favorite shrimp- a rare wild-type shrimp from India called caradina babaulti "zebra". The following is a full tank shot and pic of the babaulti.

Ill save the other two for those that are interested in seeing them.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Shrimp tanks

Love shrimp! Your tanks look amazing. Tell us about the specs and paramters for each species tank. Do you use shrimp sand, do the species require soft acidic water like caridina shrimp?
    I for 1 would love to see the other 2
    Last edited by danotaylor; 12-05-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I love the fluval tank! Might get one for my office! How hard was it getting that wild shrimp? It’s very unique.

The c. babaulti "zebra" are a rare shrimp. The only vendor Ive seen that carries them periodically in US is Aquatic Arts. They breed them themselves- so domestically bred ( which is a plus). Out of the group that I have, most of the shrimp are subtly "zebra" striped; but, a few get this beautiful golden color. In my experience, older females are the ones that take on this coloration/markings. I think they rival the beauty of any Crystal shrimp, neocaridina commonly kept.

Do you mean the Fluvdel Flex or the Fluval Spec V? If you mean the Flex--- I love this little tank. The dimensions are perfect for shrimp. But, this tank also has excellent built-in lighting for growing low-medium light aquarium plants and has a great little filter included as well.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    The c. babaulti "zebra" are a rare shrimp. The only vendor Ive seen that carries them periodically in US is Aquatic Arts. They breed them themselves- so domestically bred ( which is a plus). Out of the group that I have, most of the shrimp are subtly "zebra" striped; but, a few get this beautiful golden color. In my experience, older females are the ones that take on this coloration/markings. I think they rival the beauty of any Crystal shrimp, neocaridina commonly kept.
    Do you mean the Fluvdel Flex or the Fluval Spec V? If you mean the Flex--- I love this little tank. The dimensions are perfect for shrimp. But, this tank also has excellent built-in lighting for growing low-medium light aquarium plants and has a great little filter included as well.
    Yes the fluval flex. Almost looks a little bowed? I really want one now. What are the water req for the babaulti?

The front glass is slightly bowed on the Fluvel flex but does not give any weird distortions-- its clarity is very good.

The c. babaulti are very tolerant- have a wider range of adaptability than many shrimp.

Ph 6.5-7.5
    KH 1- 7
    GH 4-14
    TDS- 80-250
    Temp 68-78

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    The front glass is slightly bowed on the Fluvel flex but does not give any weird distortions-- its clarity is very good.

The c. babaulti are very tolerant- have a wider range of adaptability than many shrimp.

Ph 6.5-7.5
    KH 1- 7
    GH 4-14
    TDS- 80-250
    Temp 68-78
    That's one of the best features I love about that tank. Ordering one right now. I like your style in aesthetics! very nice tanks. Any recommendations where to get the tank? I usually rely on Amazon.
    Last edited by Mando; 12-06-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Thank you!

Here is another shrimp tank that recently sprang a leak that I will be redoing after holidays. I had put a rock next to glass that had produced a pressure point-- next time around I wont be doing that :/
    Anyways, it has a bromeilad and tillandsias growing on a stump where it reaches above the waterline. On the stump right where the water line begins are anubias petite- which can grow emersed or submersed. \

Real Name
    Daniel

Hey Discluv are you gonna answer my questions in post #2? It helps to keep people's interest in your thread when you answer their questions

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Hey Discluv are you gonna answer my questions in post #2? It helps to keep people's interest in your thread when you answer their questions
    Hey! Sorry, missed your post entirely- not on purpose.
    Ill work on answering those questions.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    lol! I stole the attention with my questions.

Damn that last tank is amazing!

Ill do these tanks one post at a time so post not so long.
    This is my most recent shrimp set-up and one of my favorites. The goal for this tank is to try out different plants to get emergent and submerged growth.

Tank: Lifeguard Aquatics 5.4 gallon.
    Filter: Dennerle Corner Filter ( may be changing this out to a smaller HOB- its a bit big).
    Lights: 2 E6 Premium LED Pendent light by ATLEDTiS
    Substrate: Fluvel Stratum/ basic aquarium sand
    Rock: Manten Stone

Plants: Green wavy and red mini Buces, anubias petite, Thai mosses, eleocharis vivapara, Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan', marsilea crenata, and some kind of aquatic reed ( unknown). Floating plant is frogbit.
    Shrimp: Cycling for 1 month. Another month to go. Will most likely add Tiger shrimp ( not sure what type and color yet. Possible Super tigers) and neo's (most likely Green jade).

Fertilization- Thrive C All In One Liquid Fertilizer by NilocG
    Snails: Red Ramshorn

Red Buce

Last edited by Discluv; 12-06-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Haha, no sweat mate. Perfect! Cheers
    One of my favs, though I've never kept them, is the orange eye blue tiger's... super nice!

Fluvel V- 5 gallon
    Substrate- Uns Controsoil/Landen sand
    Rock: Dragon stone
    Wood: Hornwood

Plants: Thai moss,Plagiochilaceae sp. Cameroon Moss,Vesicularia Ferriei Weeping Moss, Mini Christmas Moss, eleocharis vivapara
    Fertilization: Thrive All in one by NilocG

Shrimp: Royal Blue Orange Eye Tiger Shrimp and Yellow-back Neocaridina

Water Parameters:
    TDS: 180-200
    PH : 6.5
    KH 2
    GH 7
    Temp: 70-72

Here is a video of the shrimp. its much easier to capture them in video than photos for me.
    https://vimeo.com/377695139
    Last edited by Discluv; 12-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Fluvel Flex 9 gallon
    Substrate- UNS Controsoil
    Rock- Manten stone

Plants:eleocharis vivapara, Juncus repens, Ludwigia 'Orange', crypt nuuri var. raubensis, crypt wendtii, crypt parva, Rotala 'orange juice', frogbit.
    Fretilization- Thrive All in One from NilocG

Shrimp: Bloody Mary neo's and c.babaulti 'zebra'

Already have pic above of caradina babaulti 'zebra'- here is one of Bloody Mary Shrimp:
    Last edited by Discluv; 12-07-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast