AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not eating & white feces

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Not eating & white feces

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Flagyl is the brand name. Mostly used by women with urinary tract infections. Called flagyl because of the type of pathagen it kills.. Flagellates.. I administered a lot of this when I was a nurse. Retired now.
    I knew I liked you Merv...I've been an RN for 25yrs. I work as an open heart recovery nurse in a cardiac ICU in Cinci. Bless ya mate!
    Sorry for the brief thread hijack Thomas

Registered Member

No problem. Ok day four of metro/high heat/salt treatment. Fish look healthy. Still getting some hiding, translucent feces & 3 fish not interested in food. Will probably stretch the treatment out to 10 days. I am also buying some bloodworm from the breeder today, try to encourage them to start eating

Real Name
    Daniel

Thomas 10 days is the minimum you should treat for, up to 14 if necessary.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Thomas 10 days is the minimum you should treat for, up to 14 if necessary.
    Two weeks it is then.

Registered Member

Day 5 of Metro/high heat/salt treatment. Procured some Japanese frozen blood-worm from the discus breeder last night. Have fed twice with some pork heart & all fish have started eating

Looks like the blood-worm was just too good to resist. The fish worst affected by the suspected hex is still timid but has started to swim with the shoal & show more interest in food. I will continue the medication.

Registered Member

I just started my metro treatment, could only get general cure but my 2.5” who got cold on the flight 10 days ago still wont eat and i finally seen white poop.. any knowledge would be great.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Smalone94 View Post
    I just started my metro treatment, could only get general cure but my 2.5” who got cold on the flight 10 days ago still wont eat and i finally seen white poop.. any knowledge would be great.
    Welcome to the forum. Don't try to feed it. Try to get pure metro from Jehmco and dose .05g/gallon for 10 to 14 days. Start a new thread and fill out the questionnaire so we can better assist you.

Registered Member

Day 7 of Metro & high heat. Upped the dose to around 500mg/10 gallons twice per day. Temp at 92. Everyone is looking healthy apart from the fish that was not eating who is now eating a small amount but only frozen blood worm. He refuses pellets or pork heart. He is still a little dark & hides by the filter outlet a lot but has not detiriated and his feces is still long & stringy but darker and no longer white so hopefully he is recovering slowly. I will keep the Metro up for a minimum of 10 days. I am doing 95% water change every morning after feeding and a further 40% before the 2nd medication at night.
    Last edited by Hardgraf; 12-14-2019 at 01:42 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Good work Thomas, def on the right track now mate!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

You’re on the right track!

Registered Member

Thanks guys. Sure is a learning curve but I'll be proud once hopefully the tank is healthy & settled

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Thomas, do you currently live in Thailand?

Last week we had "cold waves" which hit a low low low low low low record of "18!!!" CELSIUS!!! (64F)

(Feel free to insert any jokes you may find appropriate there. )

But considering this country is 30C+ almost all year long, people in the north sometime die of hypothermia when it hit 10C (50F).

So, if you are in Thailand, might be your fish caught a cold (pun intended), and/or stress from moving to new environment.

But I see that you are doing well with the treatment (great advice from simply crew as always).

Just try to complete the treatment 10-14 days, make sure it completely recovered.

Also, if it's mine, I wouldn't feed it during this period.

Also also, when you finish Metro, (a week or two afterward) I will definitely deworm the fish thoroughly with Levamisole and Praziquantel.
    Since most of the breeders/sellers in this country don't give a damn about deworming. (They also say "discus usually live around 2-3 years" but oh well, who am I to judge...)

Good luck with your treatment

fyi, I live in Bangkok, just ask if you need any info.

Cyrus
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Registered Member

Hi Cyrus, great to hear from you!

Yes I am also in BKK. My fish are locally bred from P&Y in Thonglor. I adjust the water heat via the shower hose so have ensured that the new water is at least 30 degrees. I don't age the water (Breeder said not to worry) and am de-chlorinating using the Thai de-chlorinator (red & white bottle).

Thanks for de-worming advice. Levamisole and Praziquantel both available from JJ Market?

I have been feeding, found it useful to feed some hikari bloodworms as this is all the sick fish will currently eat & I can soak them in Metronidazole prior to feeding. I am performing a large WC following feeding pork heart every morning.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

I see.

Well, imo P&Y is one of few better sellers so,,, I might tone down my bias a bit lol.

For Prazi you can find in some pharmacy, but for Leva you have to buy online from farm/agriculture supply dealers etc.
    Even so, it's for farm animal which is a bit too dodgy for my taste.

I ordered mine from ebay, which for god sake, costed like a discus or so.

For dechlorinator, I think you better order Seachem's "safe" from e-bay, best bang for your baht imo.
    That red&white bottle is basically Sodium thiosulphate + water with 100 times overpricing. (you need A LOT of them each wc)
    It does indeed dechlorinate, but that's it.
    While Seachem safe is Seachem prime in powder form, it helps with other dangerous substance as well as ammonia.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Real Name
    Daniel

S̄wạs̄dī chāy fella's! I see an international discus friendship comin on...nice!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 12-16-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast