AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not eating & white feces

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Not eating & white feces

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    S̄wạs̄dī chāy fella's! I see an international discus friendship comin on...nice!
    Don't you just love the unity this forum provides? +1 on the deworming procedure.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    S̄wạs̄dī chāy fella's! I see an international discus friendship comin on...nice!
    Sawasdee krub!

Well, you know, music and the love for flat round fish know no bounderies.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Registered Member

Ok so day 12 & probably final day of medication. I'm going to do a 100% WC, give the tank a good clean to rid it of the white residue from the Metro pills & clean the canister filter. The sick fish is still only picking at blood worm & is still a little dark, inactive & spending time on his own. No more white faeces though so hopefully he'll recover fully...

Tank Hex.JPG

Yes PY have beautiful fish and have been very helpful. The issues have been brought upon entirely by the fish being under stress in my care.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

If you are using heat as part of the treatment I would suggest continuing to do so until the circled fish is eating. Based on it's head down position I do not think it is feeling well yet.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

No you're right Pat, he still isn't engaged & interested in life, head down a lot & on his own

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Hardgraf View Post
    No you're right Pat, he still isn't engaged & interested in life, head down a lot & on his own
    Can you bring your tank temp up to about 88/89?
    Pat

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Hardgraf View Post
    Ok so day 12 & probably final day of medication. I'm going to do a 100% WC, give the tank a good clean to rid it of the white residue from the Metro pills & clean the canister filter. The sick fish is still only picking at blood worm & is still a little dark, inactive & spending time on his own. No more white faeces though so hopefully he'll recover fully...

Yes PY have beautiful fish and have been very helpful. The issues have been brought upon entirely by the fish being under stress in my care.
    Is the crushed pill not dissolving? there should not be white residue at the bottom. Try to crush it more thoroughly so it dissolves entirely and I would run the course for the 14 days (two more days in your case). If at 14d he is still looking darkish, I'd wait a few days (1 week) before starting metro again. But let the professionals comment on that. I'm not too experienced with a sick fish after 14 days of metro.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Is the crushed pill not dissolving? there should not be white residue at the bottom. Try to crush it more thoroughly so it dissolves entirely and I would run the course for the 14 days (two more days in your case). If at 14d he is still looking darkish, I'd wait a few days (1 week) before starting metro again. But let the professionals comment on that. I'm not too experienced with a sick fish after 14 days of metro.
    That's a good idea Mando. Also try dissolving the metro in warm water and pour that into the tank.
    Pat

Registered Member

Yes it dissolves fine (Thai Metronidazole). The white residue is the binding agent used in the pills. Water here in Bangkok comes out of the tap at 86 so with a small heater 90 is easy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Hiya,

I just re-read all the info. I'm not sure if the tank is fully cycled?
    Since you mentioned the tank is 3 weeks old and you read 0.25 ammonia and very low Nitrate
    If so, that might one of the reasons that fish is stressed.
    Last edited by snxtif; 12-18-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Registered Member

Yeah I'm sure inconsistent water parameters have been the main cause of stress. Had the ammonia & nitrite spikes so now the tank is hopefully fully cycled (6 weeks) and they are able to recover. Stupid rookie mistake, probably should have fully cycled the tank instead of being impatient.

In my experience twice daily large water changes were not enough to keep ammonia & nitrite at 0.

Today everyone is dark & shy, more white poop from the sick fish so quite frustrating
    Last edited by Hardgraf; 12-18-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Registered Member

Ok I've decided to do another 4 days of Metro ensuring 500mg/10Gallons combined with high heat (91.5) and salt 1 tablespoon/10Gallons. I will continue to feed lightly with only medicated food. I will do smaller water changes (50%) to minimise stress.

I saw a huge beautiful blue turquoise breeding pair in a local discus shop today, gave me increased determination to get my tank healthy.

Registered Member

IMG-20191219-WA0002.jpg

Sick fish is now looking dark and very weak. He has just produced this long rubbery orange faeces. Still hex?

Worried that he will die soon

Registered Member

Thank you for everyone's help. I now have a heathy tank. The sick fish has recovered fully and now devours beef heart straight from my hand

Real Name
    Brian

Congratulations!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast