AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Accidental breeding

Registered Member

Default Accidental breeding

So I have a 120g tank with 8 discus of different color strains. The smallest is 5" and the largest around 6". I had no intentions of them breeding and I didn't think my water would be good enough for that anyway. Well the Super Checkerboard Pigeon and Altum Flora Cross have been laying eggs. Each time they laid the eggs would disappear after a few days. Most of them seemed fertile. Well recently the eggs got all the way to the wriggler stage. I think it would be fun to take them out and set them up as a breeding pair. Would this be a good idea? I don't know if a combination of those strains would produce anything anyone would want. I'm not interested in making any money off of them so I wouldn't be very disappointed if you all said it was not worth doing. What do you think? If you say not to try it I plan on taking out the piece of wood they keep laying eggs on. I don't want them to go through the stress for no reason.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Accidental breeding

I would not recommend breeding that cross. They can produce some heavily peppered offspring.

pepper.jpg

Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I will take the egg laying site out. Maybe I can order a pair of each and maybe get a breeding pair of the same strain. Is there a list of what strains not to cross?

Me personally I would not remove the egg laying site ,your obviously doing something right in getting a spawn, and if they want to spawn their gonna find a place to do it whether it be on a filter tube,heater or the glass ,I would say let them go you just don't have to tend to the eggs or fry, and in the meantime you can learn from them

Jeanne

Real Name
    Bill

If you search around in the forum perhaps with keyword such as "pigeon-based" and "non-pigeon-based" and "peppering," maybe in the breeding section, you'll get an idea. While this seems to be less of an issue over time as the "checkerboards" and such get "cleaner" (with less undesirable black), in general you might note which of your fish are capable of showing stress bars and which aren't. If you see bars in both fish (as with your Altum Flora) you know the two will be compatible, and if you don't, there's a good chance that will work, too. There may be an exception or two (e.g., blue diamonds), but this isn't a bad rule of thumb.