AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I hatch rams ...

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: I hatch rams ...

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Be still my heart...a little baby! I can't wait until you find more.
    I am bad with English maybe and it is a difficult language .
    Fry could be one or plural ? Right ?
    Got like a heap of fry Liz ..I was not sure the female was done ,as I mentioned I pack the net with live plants ,but I saw enough fry in the net I was ready and content to remove her now !
    Thinking 30+ .
    Yea I am excited ! I already told my Hawaiian friend as he was one of the ones who said very hard to breed..He loves long fin swords also and sent me a beautiful green tux long fin female .
    I count my blessing to have friends that share what they do ,did or know ..He said males kill males and females jump. That meant one male per tank and low water level with lots of floating plants to me .
    He may have suffered but I gained from his experience already ..I do not discount luck ever !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Your English is Excellent. I misinterpreted. I'm delighted for you. I agree, friends are everything in the fish hobby. It's the people who most love sharing their knowledge make the best friends.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Tom, I love what you are sharing here. Thank you for being so generous with both your knowledge and time
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Pat ! I really try to share ..I want others to be able to enjoy fish as much as I do ..
    Being new here I have not shared my daily goal . My life goal . It is to simply put back more then I take . Once practiced it is not so hard ..
    I try to offer what I think may be of value when I can ..Giving is one of the best things for YOU !
    Fish are a major part of my life and have been in my life for the last 30+ years ..I can't imagine not having any tanks ..
    Thank the snow and now rain for my extra time !
    Got rams ?

I don't know which other forums you hang out at, but I can tell you that this place seems to attract people with kind hearts. I know this from personal experience. It's a joy to have someone here with so much knowledge.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Liz you guys are great ! I got carried away with packing and a buddy yesterday..You all didn't miss much .Just wigglers sitting on the bottom of clean dip and pour . Here they are today .
    They should be free swimming later or tomorrow .I hatch BBS 3x a day [year round now ] so whenever they are ready I will hook them up !

I will be making a swordtail video soon ..They as close to my heart as the rams .The rams just launched me into real dedicated breeding ..So much fun !
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Pat

Hey Tom, you are using plant dishes for spawning platforms for the rams. What size are those across? My guys keep digging pits in the sand so they must not like the smooth rocks for spawning. Too elevated I guess.
    Pat

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Pat yea I use 3 inch terracotta plant pot bottoms [trays ]..
    If the pair spawns elsewhere ,I missed and will relocate the tray !
    Back corners are preferred but I keep my trays near front so I can see and take or watch when parents move them .
    If I take them then I place then vertical in the large dip and pour with 1 drop MB and an air stone .The good fall off the tray away from fungus eggs . I never mess or remove bad eggs ..None of my rams do either !The video shows all after that .
    If the eggs stay with the parents 9 out of 10 times they will move the good to another location [the pit in corner although I am BB].
    The parents take the fry "as I see it " to move them away from any bad fungus eggs to a completely clean and 'strategically ' new spot .Predation in the wild starts early .Eggs are delicious ! So the smart parent re locates for multiple reasons " as I see it ".
    Many say 'Oh they ate them "...Ha ! Witness patience and practice ! Sneaky fish ..Next day " or so " a cloud is seen . Now there is a lot that goes into to making good parents [yes making them ] . We'll talk about 'training ' later..
    Both the rams and swordtails are teaching me today ! Sometimes hard to tell who trains who !
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Pat

Thank Tom and appreciate the detailed answer. I hear you on learning from the fish. They are good teachers if you pay attention.
    Pat

What a big bunch of sword tails! I'm curious...what size tanks do you have them in? My smallest tank is a 20. I have a bunch of expensive large tanks in my fish room because I bought them with Discus grow out in mind. I guess I'll be replacing some of them with smaller tanks.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Fish and music.Love Steely Dan ad DF ! I am not in my fish room for minutes when I have the time ..I would never be where I am breeding rams ..We both share a season .Only they think they are in SA! Just like raising discus devotion ,love and time .It rarely works with less .
    So lets fast forward back again ! I started you all with free swimmers and wigglers . I kind of feel like I shorted you the exciting egg phase !
    For real though from the Black female and long fin gold and an un documented spawn between a male Long Fin GBR and a female EBR eggs from day one bandit style ..
    Large dip and pour ,terracotta tray that was in the tank [not magic] and 1 drop MB with a plastic disposable air stone ..
    I think I got till next Weds so we'll do daily as long as I can ,well call it how to hatch ram eggs ?

Always music you can turn down and listen to what you like ..
    Steely Dan is one of my favorites, but I believe you snuck in a little Genesis in there as well!! Good fish room music

Real Name
    Tom

There will should be music in the fish room ..Some of it is "for them ".. Incubus today ..Listen to Are you in after this !
    Worked today [ thumbs down emoji ] but my fish room lights turn on when I get up at 4 am and stay on till 9pm so morning check in was un eventful ..I plan/ have 1 hour in am [5-6] I feed and make observations ..Then off .
    Came home and saw some action in wigglers tanks and fed live BBS very lightly , which means like 3 drops from syringe of rinsed BBS in about 6oz water ..I hatch about 3/4 teaspoon per batch [3 batches a day ] . The wigglers did not need it but I was light enough I am not worried ..
    Changed 75% water in both fry tanks ..
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

Ok I missed a couple days .But only making videos so have no fear !
    Seems like 10 or less from the black female/gold longfin and maybe 20 from the GBR long fin and EBR female..
    I moved them both together to the messy green 2g tank in the middle yesterday after cleaning it up ..
    We'll see if I can them on video tomorrow .They are very small fry but eating BBS like champs .
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

Ok day 9 of youngest fry and day 15 for the other two ..
    Got rams ?

The additional pair of dark rams and the golden ram have settled in well.
    Thanks, Tom.

They absolutely love freeze-dried black-worms-- you can hear these little fish snapping them up at the waterline

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast