AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I hatch rams ...

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: I hatch rams ...

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    The additional pair of dark rams and the golden ram have settled in well.
    Thanks, Tom.

They absolutely love freeze-dried black-worms-- you can hear these little fish snapping them up at the waterline
    Glad to hear they are settling in well. Noisy fish are happy fish !
    Out of all who have received the darks you are in the top 4 of who stand a chance of actually raising fry IMO ..I tried to pick you winners to help you along ! I would love to see you raise up some darks..
    My rams love Als Black worms ..I just looked at the fry in the video and thought when ?? When do you leave them a little piece of the blackworms to nibble on .It may seriously only be another week or two at most ..
    Besides temperature and heat rams share the desire to eat all day long if they could just like discus … The black worms are perfect to be stuck to the glass in small fry tanks .Easy to see if they are being eaten and even easier to see who is eating them ..
    My tiny 1 inch clown loaches in the discus 60G claim a cube from the behemoth disc without issue ! No fish can refuse them once they understand ~
    I think I just started feeding my 3rd or 4th Kilo ! I buy 1/2 kilo regular cubes and 1/2 kilo with spinach added and keep them in my freezer .. I take out like a weeks worth at a time ..
    I am sure you all know but spinach is the fastest most readily absorbed source of iron for fish we can introduce ...Lacing it with black worms gets the most finicky carnivore to eat the veggies no problem !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Yeah, Ive been feeding freeze-dried blackworms for my discus and other fish about 7 years now. About when I did, I also stopped feeding beef-heart to my discus. Seemed like a better choice to me.
    I typically get the freeze-dried blackworms with spinach or spirulina. That way the fish get in their greens.
    I also add Boyds Vitachem to them a couple times a week( soak them in) and feed my fish. I have found that their immune systems are much stronger since Ive been doing this.

A question: what temperature would you keep these guys. I have them at 80 degrees right now, but can turn up heat if need be.

Real Name
    Tom

I too use the Boyds vita chem ~ Good stuff !
    I like 80-82 myself ,but never really turned them up much more on purpose or for long ..
    I know many say they are all good 86f or higher .
    I never much experimented at different temps .80-82 should do the trick ..
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

New day new eggs !
    I like to let the parents raise them when they will. I have a couple new variations here so when I get first spawn I try to take them for 2 reasons .
    First they are new to me so I want them and really don't want to take chances with a pair not proven yet .Even if I have faith .I have faith in this pair but ?
    Secondly once I take the eggs literally their clock resets!They look around , alittle lost ,confused and mad for a day maybe ..Then if I do right by them conditioning they get right back at it .
    This is a new pair so the eggs are mine and they can try to raise the next set which could be here for New Years !
    These are going to be a hybrid of the Hawaiian gold long fin male and Electric Blue female .The combo result is known as pearl but I have never tried to get this yet ..
    Hoping for new color and long fins maybe on a few ??

^^ in their 5 g tank ^^

^^ not bad size spawn ^^

^^ you all know how this goes ^^

Got my second set of fry from 2 gold long fins yesterday and the parents are doing great with the swarm in tow !
    I'll try to video them tomorrow ,so much more majestic then being the bandit !
    Last edited by coralbandit; 12-21-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Got rams ?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Tom, would love to see some parent/fry videos. The pearl sounds like an interesting cross, hybrid...whatever lol
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Tom, would love to see some parent/fry videos. The pearl sounds like an interesting cross, hybrid...whatever lol
    Pat
    Here you go Pat !
    These are from my buddy Tom in Hawaii. This is their second spawn they have raised .The first are now days short of 2 months old [ 10/27 ] .
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Pat

Cool. Is the parent in the video calling the fry with the fin flicking motion?
    Pat

Real Name
    Tom

Yea they are communicating ! That is how dwarf cichlids do it ..I am told the 'learning' last about 2 weeks and then they can be separated. Another method Iwas taught is they are ready for separation when you see the fry hunting and recognizing food on their own ..
    He is alerting them to me or the light from camera in the video .. They just had huge feeding and 75% water change before the video ..
    Got rams ?

That's one beautiful fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

How are your eggs today Pat ? What do they look like .You're not a newb ! Your video was GREAT ! I LOVED IT !

Thanks Liz .
    My experience with long fin rams has been 100% horrible until Tom sent me these !Go figure a customer /buddy sending you the prize ! Tom is a special person to me .
    His fish are beyond words. He sent me 6 of these little gold long fins and this is what they turned into ! I know rams ,blown away ! I even questioned him . I am embarrassed but you never know till you see . They were small and he sexed them and said they would raise multiple sets of fry together as pairs . He is special .
    We are still missing one part from me [ Pat got it ] to make this a complete 'fast forward back' … I wish I could plan stuff like this but we have already discussed who trains who ?? Up at 4 am feeding fish and hatching BBS ??
    They own me and I can see how many become overwhelmed ..That is when passion shows ! I like to say true colors shine the brightest .
    The next video ;

I do appreciate all the kind words . No matter how 'connected' I sound or how many fish I sell I am really just a simple man with more then one addiction ? I am not embarrassed to say I love fish ..They are special to me and my time .
    It is the joy and pleasure they give me I try most to share . Good fish as all you guys know make a huge difference in how the experience goes ..
    Last edited by coralbandit; 12-22-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    Got rams ?

Lordy Tom, if people didn't know before that you were passionate, they do after that story.

There are just so many people who want to pass on what they've made or what they know to someone who appreciates what they get. It's like that with everything. You and he are lucky to have found one another.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Tom, I love your passion also. The two rams in the video above, is one a pearl?

So the eggs were yellowish when laid. Tonight they seem more clear. The pair is getting along very nice. If things continue to go well they will hatch tomorrow night?

and no, not a newb. I have breed wild discus and raised some F1s. I have also raised apistos successfully. All that is recorded on my youtube channel.
    Pat

Real Name
    Tom

The odd looking one is a hybrid of GBR and EBR .I found many females with a ton of red on them from this cross overtime so decided to pull the most red and breed with a gold hoping to get red ?? Every hybrid is a little different looking so who really knows where this will go with out generations to get there ? That is great pair and they will raise their fry for sure ..
    Yes Pat hopefully you will have wiggler tonight or tomorrow .I love watching others breed fish !
    There may be a fine line between passion and crazy ? I hope I am right on it balanced well !
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

I know this is about rams but my affliction is strong !

These are my Hans Santarems with some fry attached !
    FINALLY ! No painted tank or special tricks ,just patience and good fish keeping practices ..
    Pretty psyched this a.m. regardless of outcome ..
    One step at a time ..
    Got rams ?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sweet Tom. Is the Santeram pair in their own tank?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast