ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: I hatch rams ...

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: I hatch rams ...

Awesome Tom, they look great! Parents seem to be doing a fine job and everyone is eating. All great signs of a positive outcome!! Thanks for being such an active poster hear, it fun to watch you up close from a distance, lol!

I really need to get some of those discs. I'll see if home depot has any when I go to the pet store for my Sterbais Tuesday.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Awesome Tom, they look great! Parents seem to be doing a fine job and everyone is eating. All great signs of a positive outcome!! Thanks for being such an active poster hear, it fun to watch you up close from a distance, lol!
    Thanks Daniel ! Sometimes I wonder who cares or if people really want to see ,but I like you really enjoy watching how others go about their tanks ..
    For me this is really documentation ..I am too lazy to keep log book so in my 55 year old attitude this is high tech fish keeping !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

Ok so lots of bickering going on between the discus parents ..They are still together and there is a good chance they may be flighty due to the fry nipping on them constantly ..
    The fry know what food is already but still are all over the parents ..They attached 8-9 days ago ..
    Can I pull both parents or better the fry to a separate tank ? Not can I ,but is it advisable ?
    Got rams ?

I don't like to separate my kids from their parents for at least 2 weeks. But if you remove the pair (not the fry) the kids will do fine. If you think the fry are in danger of being eaten, I'd advise you to separate them.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Liz !
    They are really nipping on each other more then just passing the kids back and fourth ..
    So 2 weeks is 14 days starting at attachment correct.. That's their birthday by the time line I saw here ? I think that timeline had remove the female also and just leave dad ..Could that be how these fish need to be handled..
    I don't see them killing each other but they do a good ' Tasmanian Devil ala Warner Bros ' impersonation ..
    The female has nipped fins which she did not before .I thought at first the male may have been after fry but not seeing that --so far-- ..He is nipping her ..She nips back and starts it sometimes ..
    Like I said they are staying together and this behavior is not every minute but it is showing on her .
    The tank already has a divider in it so moving either will have no impact on the water they go to ..Same tank [60g 48X24 ] .The pair and fry have about 3/4 of the tank now ..

With rams this is a bad sign ..Not getting along after the fry are gone is more typical ..Fighting with fry usually ends up with no fry and maybe dead adult ..
    Got rams ?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Hey, Tom

How can I go about buying some rams? looking to add a few to my tanks.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Hey, Tom

How can I go about buying some rams? looking to add a few to my tanks.
    Hey Armando shoot me an Email at coralbandit@aol.com .I got just about every color , would love to hook you up .

So yesterday the male Santarem got aggressive enough I decided to pull him . He was doing some pretty good damage to the females tail and although she was fighting back maybe even starting some of the squabbles she was not causing physical damage to him . That was what formed my decision to remove him and not her ..I am sure he had/has the fry in his best interest but he was abusive with his mannerism which left me feeling she was the better choice .
    Ironically it is usually the female that causes the trouble and is removed with rams ..Maybe all anecdoctal but opposites ?
    Thinking I got just over 20 fry that are eating whatever I offer now hanging with mom !

I saw sneaker fry in the blue alien betta tank today changing water ! Probably over 2 weeks old as it had the size of 2-4 week old ram fry or maybe a 1-2 week old swordtail ??
    Either way feeling like a party is in store due to aliens !
    On top of that I am uneducated on breeding as I never even took science past 9th grade ..No Bio !
    But my last spawn of my darkest ram has me with 25% gold and the others dark ..This is different from the 50/50 that has been status quo ..My understanding is out of the 75% dark there is 25% DD and the other 50% are single D blacks …
    First time since my first darks 9/11/18 to have any result other then 50/50 ..
    Getting closer to locking it in ??
    Last edited by coralbandit; 01-20-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Tom,
    Your discus fry look great. I've been watching. Sometimes it seems like one of the parents is prodding the other to step it up. Hopefully the female is willing to take on the fry herself. If I think about it, I think I have probably more often removed the female first. But every pair is different. Like Liz said, they could get by without either parent at this point if necessary.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Your discus fry look great. I've been watching. Sometimes it seems like one of the parents is prodding the other to step it up. Hopefully the female is willing to take on the fry herself. If I think about it, I think I have probably more often removed the female first. But every pair is different. Like Liz said, they could get by without either parent at this point if necessary.
    Thanks Steve ! You put me at ease some ..
    I am thrilled with the fry but most concerned for the female honestly ..I would like to separate the fry from her so she can recoup but the way I see it every day with her is a big bonus so I am resisting for as long as I can ..
    I watch the fry eat whatever I add ! Decaps ,golden pearls my kens grow meal 00 ! I am shocked but they are large fry from what I am used to ..
    They may have even nibbled on blood worms I fed her today !
    They are hanging around her more today then hanging on her so I like that ..
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Thanks Steve ! You put me at ease some ..
    I am thrilled with the fry but most concerned for the female honestly ..I would like to separate the fry from her so she can recoup but the way I see it every day with her is a big bonus so I am resisting for as long as I can ..
    I watch the fry eat whatever I add ! Decaps ,golden pearls my kens grow meal 00 ! I am shocked but they are large fry from what I am used to ..
    They may have even nibbled on blood worms I fed her today !
    They are hanging around her more today then hanging on her so I like that ..
    Yes, they are huge compared to the ram fry! Sounds great that they're eating all those foods. Were those live worms?

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Were those live worms?
    No frozen ..
    Only live food I have is fresh hatched BBS daily ,they eat that also !
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Steve

Ah, frozen bloodworms. I treat for most any fish. Once they figure out how to eat FDBW, I figure I can keep them happy.

Real Name
    Tom

I feed her the FDBW but I am not sure they figured them out but I am sure they will .
    I really only feed my Kens grow meal ,golden pearls ,FDBW and frozen blood worms for the majority of the fish ..And of course BBS..
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

So if I listen correct I hit a hallmark with the dark rams ..
    My experience at best has been 50/50 gold /dark.
    Last spawn from my darkest pair has 25% gold and 75% dark !
    If I get it then I have 25% D/D 50% D/d and 25% D/g ??
    Pretty sure this is huge and leaves me one step from actually locking them ?
    Today short tour .
    Got rams ?

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast