AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I hatch rams ...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I hatch rams ...

Tom, what does the D/g look like? Great vid and the discus fry look like. I have kept sterbai with my wild spawns in the past.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Pat if I understand and did not mess up my letters I think the D/g is just gold . The D is because both its parents are dark .
    I never bought any gold rams ..All I have besides my longfins from Tom in Hawaii came from my darkest rams with the very first 2 arriving 9/11/18 with 4 very darks ..My first real darks and gold in 1 year of breeding so I called them my F1.
    I really don't think there is any value towards the dark from these golds ..They are golds from Dark rams but breed to each other you will get all gold from what I have seen..
    There is something funny how the gold blends with GBR and EBR but does not with blacks ??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

from what little I know about genetics I'd have to say you're right!
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    from what little I know about genetics I'd have to say you're right!
    I kind of feel smarter today !
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

So yesterday I traded in my 3 male discus ,a Breeding pair of blue snakeskins and the last of my EBA !
    I made a little tank space ..
    So I got to move the newest fish into a more appropriate tank.

The Silver and Albino Dantum angels were moved into the 65g the pair of disc had .
    The angels were in a 40b since arriving last weekend so now I moved Dark and EBR rams into the 40.
    That freed up my 29 in the wall[this is where it gets good] .
    So with the 29 free I caught the Santarem fry and moved them to their own tank .

^^This is how you count them !^^ Think aprox.40 !

I tossed in 5 Sterbai cories with them two help clean up and keep them moving around..
    Hopefully I have half a clue what to do now with these guys ,they are my first .
    The fry had really been hanging around mom and not on her so she seemed in pretty good shape .
    I returned the male to the original side with the female and they both seem happy !
    Hope every one is having a great weekend!
    Got rams ?

Excellent decision. Where did you get those Angels? They were imports, right? Albino Daltums are hard to find, expensive, and hard to breed. I understand that if you can get them to breed at all, they don't breed true. I might be mistaken, though.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Excellent decision. Where did you get those Angels? They were imports, right? Albino Daltums are hard to find, expensive, and hard to breed. I understand that if you can get them to breed at all, they don't breed true. I might be mistaken, though.
    They breed true in my experience ..They come from DiscusMadness..I just went last weekend .I had a pair from 6 I got years ago and they were/are great ..I just sent them to buddy in Indiana as Christmas gift ..The body on the pair was the size of my palm ..
    They breed and I raised 2 sets of fry ..They breed and we got wigglers probably almost 100 times ! No clue what was right in the beginning or wrong at the end ?I have a couple theories..
    They are not cheap but cheaper if you buy small and grow them out yourself ! I came back with 10 silvers and 20 albinos ..I lost one silver last week but 1 out of 30 ain't bad ..
    They are happy in the 65g and I can feed them everytime I walk by now ! These fish will be LARGE by the Fall ! Many of my buddies want these fish especially after I touch them so I knew to bring back more then I need or want ..
    I really only need 4...The right 4 though …

DiscusMadness is a great store for me as they import these dantums and Black rams direct from Shahar Danzinger ...Not to mention a store full of eye candy few can even imagine ..3 hour one way drive but the trips keep getting closer together ..

Here's the pair I sent Pat nomming on FDBW ;
    Last edited by coralbandit; 01-25-2020 at 05:55 PM.
    Got rams ?

Those are some huge Angels, Tom. I wish I could visit Discus Madness, but I can't. You are very lucky to have found an importer within driving distance who can cater to your desires.. You are also very lucky to have such good friends.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Day one in the 29 no losses and they eat whatever I know to offer !

I am still trying to wrap my head around having 40 discus ! I know this likely may be 2x the final count but ?
    First group raised will be under my belt soon enough . The pair are so happy and amazingly calm together now ..
    At first he danced for her and was all excited and then she bumped him once [like where you been ?] and he is all good !
    They are just really relaxing and cruising the tank like I wanted ..I am sure they will be cleaning the cone soon but for now I really enjoy just seeing them relax ..
    I feel I am just so lucky and know I am checking boxes like mad on many fish keepers bucket list ..
    I will try to keep you all up on these guys ..I am kind of pumped !
    A buddy of mine commented I have a few irons in the fire .. He is right ...I moved the alien betta pair to tank next door as I could clearly see 2 generations of fry !
    May not be more then 10 maybe more ?? They are all new to me also ..I bred gouramis when you much younger but I have been in a ram kind of thing lately ..
    I heard they are good practice for many other fish !
    Got rams ?

Remind me how old they are now. This thread is so full of posts about various types of fish that it's hard to scroll up until I find it. All this should be in a thread in the Discus section. I should be able to do that (I think) but I'm not a mod because of my ability with doing computerly things. If I were to guess, I'd say around two weeks or a little more.

What you will need to start doing at 3 weeks is start looking for them from a breeder's eye. Start looking for the ones starting to round up in the body The area of the mouth is always pointy in young fish. The body rounds out sooner. Start culling the smallest one first. Take your time deciding, but you only want to keep your best for yourself and to sell, right?

You are a great help to the few of us who want to breed our Rams. Of course we will help you along in your Discus journey. It's what friends do.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I am going to say the eggs were laid New years !
    A convenient and close enough date ..
    Clearly the runt has no place in a growing group of sellable fish but until he impedes on water quality or space I don't need to lose him yet ..
    I never pass fish to others I would not pay for myself ..The least talked about part of my fish room is the freezer but it holds more then frozen food … It is different for keepers then breeders ..
    I am no bleeding heart and surly know a less then 'perfect' fish has no value but first round here so I expect mistakes and errors to cull some for me maybe ?
    That and there is a 65 g waiting for them when they need the room so ?
    I found one dead fry in the 60g before I separated them from mom so nature is still in force even in my fish room ..
    I appreciate and accept any tips offered ..Thanks !
    Got rams ?

You're right. Keep the group together until more space is needed. I should have known that you looked at all fish from a breeder's perspective.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Great job Tom. Very nicely done mate. Quite an achievement sir!

At what size do you plan to sell them?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

You're right. Keep the group together until more space is needed. I should have known that you looked at all fish from a breeder's perspective.
    I try to have fun .I bite my tongue too often about treating and keeping poor fish ..I desire the best or at least better and am willing to put effort in so .. I don't think the runt will ever catch up or even make it past being the first loss.
    I like to see once or twice for myself without disregard to advice ..
    I am just a first timer ...

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Great job Tom. Very nicely done mate. Quite an achievement sir!
    Thank you ..I am honestly caught off guard ..I know I am a decent ram breeder but all fish are different so I am excited about these ..
    It thrills me to know I shared my first with the SD crew .
    Got rams ?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast