ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On track - FINALLY!!

Real Name
    Brian

Default On track - FINALLY!!

So I've been remodeling my spare bedroom into a fish room and it's taken much longer than planned, with delay after delay because of an injured shoulder. I started by tearing out the walls, insulating the inside of the walls (my house was built without insulation), replacing/updating the electrical and fresh paint and trim from top to bottom. The old ceiling was pretty nasty looking, so I skimmed it smooth with joint compound and sanded every square inch by hand - 3 times, then sprayed it with knockdown texture!! I built new tank racks for 12 tanks then finally found my RO unit that had been lost for years, and replaced all the filters. My stored membranes were bad so I ordered new ones. Then I had equipment failure (old stuff), then a tank leak, etc... I have a pair of Passions that have been spawning in a hard water community tank for over a year and I finally moved them into their own tank and filled it with RO - 3 days later they spawned!

So far, so good because the eggs all look viable as of day 2. Now I just hope all their practice pays off and they know what to do, lol...

It's a lot nicer in person and there's still a lot of clutter, but hopefully it will be discus dedicated soon

Quad rack for 2-55's and 2- 40l's (I know the tank looks dirty. Algae is out of control because of the cheap LED lights that came with the tank and i scrub it every day. They will be history soon!)
    rack 1.jpg

Double rack for 1-55 and 1-40l
    rack 2.jpg

5 rack for 3-20g and 2-29g
    rack 3.jpg

1st pair of Passions
    mom and dad.jpg

Should hatch tomorrow
    12-07-19.jpg

Happy dad!
    dad.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: On track - FINALLY!!

Looking fantastic Jeep. Gonna be a great place to hang out. Love the vibrancy of the Passion's color, wow!

Real Name
    Brendan

My god, those reds! *picks jaw up off the floor* Looking great Brian and good luck with it all.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks!! As I've said before in other threads, these were my first discus I got since my return to the hobby. Due to my travel schedule early on, they did not receive great care, but they still turned out very nice! This makes me feel their genetics are top notch and I'm lucky to be able to hopefully see the potential of their offspring.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

The room and fish look great Brian and those passions are jaw drop dead gorgeous. Hope you get wigglers soon.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-10-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Outstanding !
    Love the red .Passion seems appropriate ..
    Good luck with the eggs they do look good .
    If you have room for any human furniture save a seat for me !
    I love fish rooms ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Got a question for you Brian and I hope I bring it about properly, is the the Passion a breeders name or a strain as it looks similar to a super red

Jeanne

Real Name
    Brian

It's hard to define exactly which strain a PB is because they aren't all that consistent like non-PB's can be. Melons, Marlboro's, Super Red, Fire Red are all very similar and the breeder calls them what they choose. Years ago, one of the most refined version was called the Mandarin Passion and it had more of a burnt orangeish/red color with little clear dots in the tail and a hint of a halo. The guy I got these from received them by mistake and he didn't know the technical name for them, so when I was asking what they should be called, the names Melon, Orange and even Tangerine Dream were thrown out there. They also reminded me of some old MP's I once had and Al agreed, so I call them MP's, lol.. The truth is, they are red/orange PB's that are a little cleaner than earlier generations.

This was a true MP from years ago...
    kc's fishroom 004.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Tom

Real Name
    Brian

After a year of failure, they don't exactly know what to do with all these stickyheads bouncing around the cone, lol...

Sorry for the poor photo but I don't want to get too close to them. I'll start changing them over to straight tap water today...

12-08-19.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

So what was the water now? 100% ro or a mix ro/tap?

Changing them to tap now wont affect them? You do 100% conversion or like 20% across a few hours/days until 100% on tap?

Real Name
    Brian

The water being used to reduce the TDS was pure RO. TDS was lowered from 400 to 30. I'm going to add straight tap at about 10-20% daily for the next few days and when they go free swimming I'll be changing 100% or more daily straight tap. I feel the tap water is important at this stage of development because of the minerals. Depending on how they develop, I sometimes add some calcium chloride if I ever see fin or gill plate defects.

Brian, those MPs are bad@$$ but I would love to see pics of that brown-based red in pic 2! (that's my weakness!). Even the different Turks you have look awesome! MORE PICS BROTHER!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Brian

Elliot, actually the MP's are very well refined PB's. Those are some old photos but I have more tucked away. I'll post some later I would love to have a brown based red of that quality!

On a happy note, this is the pair's first viable spawn and they acting like pro's. The fry are starting to go free swimming at this moment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    So I've been remodeling my spare bedroom into a fish room
    Just checking if there is still a word "spare" in that sentence
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast